Cochin Color

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by annanicole18, Jul 20, 2018.

1. annanicole18

annanicole18 Songster 9 Years

Mar 16, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have had conflicting comments on these color of these birds. What does everyone think? I have 3 that look like the pne front and center of picture one and then the trio in picture two. Thanks!

Attached Files:

BlackHackle likes this.
  2. BlackHackle

BlackHackle Court Rooster Premium Member

The first picture is a blue. The other picture are three splashs, two blues, and a black. You have BBS Cochins

3. JedJackson

JedJackson Crowing

Jul 6, 2016
    The coloring on these seems odd to me, like something else is going on besides just blue, black and splash. The patchiness in the blues and the lavender tint to the splashes is what I'm referring to, specifically. Maybe one of the genetics experts can help. @The Moonshiner

BlackHackle likes this.
  4. BlackHackle

At these bird's age, the blue is normally inconsistent and splash birds are suppose to be off tinted and have bits of blue and greyish strips through it

JedJackson likes this.
  5. JedJackson

JedJackson Crowing

Jul 6, 2016
    Okay, I will take your word for it. The blue birds almost look pied to me, though. It seems unusual.

6. BlackHackle

I looked at it again, and you do got a point. I'm guessing it's unselective breeding that caused it maybe

JedJackson likes this.
  7. BlackHackle

...I mean look at this Andalusian roo:
    Rooster #1.JPG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: