Cochin Color

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StaffordChicken, Sep 28, 2008.

1. StaffordChicken

StaffordChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    We recently recieved some 1 wk old cochins and one was supposedly was black and another blue but we had a blue before which was a light blueish grey color but this is the lightest one and looks black to me what are your thoughts?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

compared to this definitely confirmed blue cochin....

[​IMG]

2. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Looks like a black cochin, too dark for a blue.

3. CA Bean

CA Bean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine looks just like that and I think he is suppose to be a black Cochin but I am no expert what so ever on them. It is my first one.

4. StaffordChicken

Sep 28, 2008
    Okay I believe its a black too which I'd be thrilled to have either because cochins are amazing but two blacks is just fine with me! Plus he/she seemed TOO dark to be blue.

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    It could have the blue gene in it though and came out black.

6. StaffordChicken

Sep 28, 2008
    Quote:I think its black but it is lighter than its brother who I did not have a picture of. The wing feathers are black thats for sure.

7. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    The top pix looks blue to me and the 3rd pix looks like a splash.

8. StaffordChicken

Sep 28, 2008
    Quote:The third picture is our true blue cochin. She was a light greyish color compared to the other two pics in which that one looks like a black cochin.

9. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    OK, what is a true blue cochin? The judges are going to look for a dark blue with nice lacing. My splashes all looked like the third pix. They were all very light in color, light grey with a few darker feathers. Blue breeding can produce blue, black and splash. The top pix looks blue to me because it has a bluish black color on it's wings and the fluff under the tail. I had many chicks that looked black but turned out dark blue.
    Just curious as to the definition of a "true blue".

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Do you have better pics of that last one? From that angle, it looks like a splash, not a blue. The one in the first pics is a black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by