StaffordChicken

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
We recently recieved some 1 wk old cochins and one was supposedly was black and another blue but we had a blue before which was a light blueish grey color but this is the lightest one and looks black to me what are your thoughts?

compared to this definitely confirmed blue cochin....

StaffordChicken

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
Okay I believe its a black too which I'd be thrilled to have either because cochins are amazing but two blacks is just fine with me! Plus he/she seemed TOO dark to be blue.

StaffordChicken

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
Quote:I think its black but it is lighter than its brother who I did not have a picture of. The wing feathers are black thats for sure.

StaffordChicken

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
Quote:The third picture is our true blue cochin. She was a light greyish color compared to the other two pics in which that one looks like a black cochin.

Frizzledhen

Spear Gunnin' Coons
12 Years
Feb 17, 2007
Michigan
OK, what is a true blue cochin? The judges are going to look for a dark blue with nice lacing. My splashes all looked like the third pix. They were all very light in color, light grey with a few darker feathers. Blue breeding can produce blue, black and splash. The top pix looks blue to me because it has a bluish black color on it's wings and the fluff under the tail. I had many chicks that looked black but turned out dark blue.
Just curious as to the definition of a "true blue".

LilPeeps

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
SE Mass
Do you have better pics of that last one? From that angle, it looks like a splash, not a blue. The one in the first pics is a black.

Top Bottom