Cochin Color

StaffordChicken

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
We recently recieved some 1 wk old cochins and one was supposedly was black and another blue but we had a blue before which was a light blueish grey color but this is the lightest one and looks black to me what are your thoughts?
IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

compared to this definitely confirmed blue cochin....

IMG_0042.jpg

Okay I believe its a black too which I'd be thrilled to have either because cochins are amazing but two blacks is just fine with me! Plus he/she seemed TOO dark to be blue.

Quote:
I think its black but it is lighter than its brother who I did not have a picture of. The wing feathers are black thats for sure.

Quote:
The third picture is our true blue cochin. She was a light greyish color compared to the other two pics in which that one looks like a black cochin.

OK, what is a true blue cochin? The judges are going to look for a dark blue with nice lacing. My splashes all looked like the third pix. They were all very light in color, light grey with a few darker feathers. Blue breeding can produce blue, black and splash. The top pix looks blue to me because it has a bluish black color on it's wings and the fluff under the tail. I had many chicks that looked black but turned out dark blue.
Just curious as to the definition of a "true blue".

Do you have better pics of that last one? From that angle, it looks like a splash, not a blue. The one in the first pics is a black.

Back
Top Bottom