Cochin ~ Genetics question

Reptigirl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
San Antonio, Tx
So I have recently acquired quiet a color variety of Cochins and I am a little curious about future breeding.

My Roo is a Barred. I have been told that a Barred roo will produce mostly barred offspring no matter what color he is bred to.
My girls are Solid White, Solid Black, Gold Laced, Barred & Mottled.

I know it is nearly impossible to even being to guess at what will be produced since we don't know what genes each chicken is carrying but I was wondering if it is true that the barred gene is more dominate and most of the offspring will be barred?

I just hatched chicks out of my Barred Roo...whom I love by the way....gentle and harms none, and my Black Hen.

62714_110_4388.jpg

Check with me in about a month and I will post pictures of the six I hatched. I was wondering the same thing.

I love LF Cochins!!

bburn: WOW! Those are adorable! I can't wait to see what they start to look like in a few weeks!

I will have to get photos of mine soon. They are all around 3 months so I still have a little while until I get my first eggs. I can't wait!

If your male carries two barring genes, all of his offspring should be barred. If he only carries one, half of the offspring will be barred. You can tell by looking at his stripes how many B genes he has. Two genes make skinny, sharp stripes. One gene makes a wider muted stripe. A white chick will hide the barring gene, but the chick will still have it to pass on to it's offspring.

Quote:
I'm trying to understand this.... Is this why some are lighter and others are darker? Or is that a totally different thing?

Last edited:
Okay, here is a photo of my Barred Cochins. The Barred and the Mottled are Bantams
(from left to right: Mottled Pullet, Barred Pullet, Barred Cockerel)
IMAG0269.jpg

Barred Cockerel
IMAG0275.jpg

Is he the double barred gene meaning all of his offspring should be barred?

If so will they all look just like him or will they be a variety of colors just with the barred markings?

Also if you notice the photo the Mottled is not as fluffy? They came from the same hatchery and are the same age (within a day or so) Why is she not as fluffy as the others? She is very slow at getting her feathers compared to them. (they are a little shy of 3 months in this photo)

Last edited:
A few more questions (Sorry I'm new to chicken genetics)

My Whites & Blacks are LF Cochin.

I'm not sure what my gold laced is. She is smaller then the LF and bigger (longer legs) then the Bantams. Does that means she is likely a mid sized (crossed between a Bantam & LF)?

Here is a photo at 2 months old:
221039_1923659540566_1514439143_2100957_3369008_o.jpg

Here is now at about 3 months:
IMAG0276.jpg

She is also very slow at developing feathers just like the mottled. Is there a reason for this?

When breeding the different sizes:
I love the sizes of the LF but I don't want the up keep of numerous LF. The Bantams are cute but a little small for my preference. I am hoping to cross the Bantam & LF to get birds of a middle size. I have heard they exist but I have never found any for sale. I know breeding a Bantam to LF increases your chance of infertile eggs. Has anyone had experience with this? I would love to hear from others about how this worked out for them?

Back
Top Bottom