Cochin hen or roo?

Wild_Flower

Songster
Jun 3, 2021
I’m not sure how old this blue Cochin is exactly but according to what I was told at time of purchase she is roughly 6 months old. “Shes” not laying yet but I’m also clueless as to when Cochins usually start laying. She hates me and runs when I try to pick her up…I was told Cochins are usually sweet and lovable 🙄
Maybe she’s not a she after all?? Any guesses would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 524A0306-0F07-4E96-99D7-5D791EB588B7.jpeg
    524A0306-0F07-4E96-99D7-5D791EB588B7.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 40248537-B983-49D8-9EA6-9652B2B55642.jpeg
    40248537-B983-49D8-9EA6-9652B2B55642.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 9F3F62FD-5F02-4D92-B442-8946B07837CE.jpeg
    9F3F62FD-5F02-4D92-B442-8946B07837CE.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 5534F942-B33D-488E-B061-E426072DD2D4.jpeg
    5534F942-B33D-488E-B061-E426072DD2D4.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 8
  • FA0A99C9-EB9C-40BA-BBBC-C49360699D0A.jpeg
    FA0A99C9-EB9C-40BA-BBBC-C49360699D0A.jpeg
    730.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 481DDFE1-1B02-498B-8F2D-4066019C9C52.jpeg
    481DDFE1-1B02-498B-8F2D-4066019C9C52.jpeg
    782.8 KB · Views: 8
I’m not sure how old this blue Cochin is exactly but according to what I was told at time of purchase she is roughly 6 months old. “Shes” not laying yet but I’m also clueless as to when Cochins usually start laying. She hates me and runs when I try to pick her up…I was told Cochins are usually sweet and lovable 🙄
Pullet

Hen for sure

Yup! I also agree she is a she! I have a few Cochins and cochin mixes and none of them are super lovey birds and a couple act like being touched by humans is terrifying haha. Not so much hate just very skittish! It has taken a LOT of time sitting with them while they forage but several will now come say hi and perch near me. I’ve heard they mellow more after they start laying, we shall see! They sure are big fluffy pretty things though! 😍

She sure looks like a she to me! My Cochins are about the same age, and my rooster is clearly a roo at that age. One of the full-sized girls started laying about six weeks ago and the other two within the last couple of weeks. My young Bantam Cochin may or may not have laid one egg at this point.

My full-size Cochins are friendly to the point of being pests; when guests try to sit at the table on the deck, they often end up with lap chickens. Or worse, Cochins on their shoulders. All three of the big girls will allow themselves to be petted -- especially if they think a treat may be forthcoming.

My older Bantam Cochins are pleasant but none will ever willingly play with people. The new little girl, Maxie, has crooked feet that I couldn't straighten, and she will allow me to hold her. But I'm not sure she's enjoying the life experience as much as I do -- it just gives her a better chance to get treats first.

There's a common thread here. All my Cochins -- old, young, big or small -- LOVE to eat and never miss a chance for a treat. They may not like me, but they sure like grapes, mealworms and end-of-season squashes. You might be able to bribe them to like you, too!

She sure looks like a she to me! My Cochins are about the same age, and my rooster is clearly a roo at that age. One of the full-sized girls started laying about six weeks ago and the other two within the last couple of weeks. My young Bantam Cochin may or may not have laid one egg at this point.

My full-size Cochins are friendly to the point of being pests; when guests try to sit at the table on the deck, they often end up with lap chickens. Or worse, Cochins on their shoulders. All three of the big girls will allow themselves to be petted -- especially if they think a treat may be forthcoming.

My older Bantam Cochins are pleasant but none will ever willingly play with people. The new little girl, Maxie, has crooked feet that I couldn't straighten, and she will allow me to hold her. But I'm not sure she's enjoying the life experience as much as I do -- it just gives her a better chance to get treats first.

There's a common thread here. All my Cochins -- old, young, big or small -- LOVE to eat and never miss a chance for a treat. They may not like me, but they sure like grapes, mealworms and end-of-season squashes. You might be able to bribe them to like you, too!
I’ve never been above bribery! She definitely does love to eat so I’m going to try this method and see if she’ll warm up to me a little bit. Since I’ve noticed that she doesn’t have much interest in me and definitely does NOT want to be handled by me, I’ve been trying to keep my distance and take it slowly so I don’t overwhelm her or make her afraid of me permanently lol

Don't give up hope! Maxie lives in a coop with a Cochin Bantam roo, a Columbian Wyandotte and a Bielefelder. Today, the two big girls popped out while I was checking for eggs (Yay, Valentina!)l, leaving the Bantams behind.

Billie Boy decided to pace the fence line, trying to lure his girls back inside. Meanwhile, Maxie came over to the coop door, where I was sitting just outside, sat down in the doorway and began talking to me. I think this may be the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

Back
Top Bottom