Cochin hens with possible Fowl Pox?

Josefina

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Florida
A couple days ago I discovered one of my 5 year old bantam Cochin hens had two abscess on her comb. One is larger, brownish in color, and located near her nostril. The second is smaller, white, and near the back of her comb. Later I found two more white abscesses on her feet on the areas partially exposed through her feet feathers. I did a check of the rest of the flock and saw my 1 year old bantam Cochin hen had a few lumps on her face. They aren't an unusual color or look pus filled like the abscesses on the other hen, but they are definitely abnormal.

I've heard about fowl pox before, and that was the first thing I thought of since we've had a lot of mosquitoes in the area and the abscesses on the first hen look similar to pox. When I did more research though, most of the pictures show birds with a lot more abscesses, and also mention that birds usually act sick to some extent before abscesses show up. Aside from a recent foray into crowing, the older hen is acting completely normal. The younger hen has been broody (completely normal for my Cochins) and the lumps on her face already appear to be smaller and don't look like classic fowl pox to me.

I got pictures of the abscesses on my first hen, but she wasn't very cooperative so I apologize for the bad quality. I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow. Can anyone confirm if this looks like fowl pox? Is there anything I can do to help my sick birds recover, and/or keep my other seemingly healthy birds from getting sick?

Thank you for any assistance!

IMG_5875.jpg

IMG_5878.jpg

Dry pox you just leave alone and let them run their course, but you need to check the beak and throat for the wet kind too as those are more likely to cause a secondary infection that would need to be treated, as they are viral it's just like us waiting for it to clear I think it's 10 days to 2 weeks for them to run their course and separating wouldn't help as they whole flock has been exposed

Can you post clearer pictures in the light tomorrow? It may or may not be pox, but hard to tell from the pics. Here is a good article about pox with pictures to compare:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

If it is fowl pox, it can spread through the flock slowly over several months. Most chickens recover within 3 weeks. Do not disturb scabs since they are contagious, even after they fall off.

Does your hen’s eye appear swollen to you? Are there any bubbles inside her eye?

Here are the pictures finally! She still wasn't very cooperative, but I think you can see the abscesses a little better.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Dry pox you just leave alone and let them run their course, but you need to check the beak and throat for the wet kind too as those are more likely to cause a secondary infection that would need to be treated, as they are viral it's just like us waiting for it to clear I think it's 10 days to 2 weeks for them to run their course and separating wouldn't help as they whole flock has been exposed

When I checked the flock the other day, I pried open a few beaks to look for wet fowl pox. Considering I had about 0.2 seconds before they yanked their beaks away, beat me with their wings, and generally fought to escape, I decided they're all feeling fine, haha. I also didn't see anything obviously wrong so I decided to leave them be and just watch to make sure everyone is eating and drinking normally. Hopefully no one gets wet pox :fl

Can you post clearer pictures in the light tomorrow? It may or may not be pox, but hard to tell from the pics. Here is a good article about pox with pictures to compare:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

If it is fowl pox, it can spread through the flock slowly over several months. Most chickens recover within 3 weeks. Do not disturb scabs since they are contagious, even after they fall off.

Does your hen’s eye appear swollen to you? Are there any bubbles inside her eye?

My younger hen with the lumps on her face is looking much better! She had one close to her eye but it seems to be shrinking, and the eye itself is clear and looks healthy.

Back
Top Bottom