Cochin/silkie sick chicks?

Pics
Hes upset but hes going to treat them so they wont get it.
Hes very upset about it tho. He said we have to who cares if he dies
(His immune system is down. He wont even take Tylenol when hes sick. He has to try to fight everything on his own cause of his lymes)

They might be mixed after winter but our winter will kill the parasite anyways.
I'm very sorry your dealing with this.

You may want to do some more research on organic treatment for Coccidiosis in poultry. I just don't know enough about alternative treatments to make any suggestions.
It would be best if your boyfriend consulted his Doc about his concerns.

You mention winter will kill the parasite. Coccidia are protozoa, they live in the soil and in chicken poop (in the intestines), they may become dormant in the soil over winter, but cold weather does not kill them. Chickens naturally have Coccidia - this is why chicks in a brooder (even a cardboard box inside your house) can have an overload - warm, wet conditions and chicks consuming their own feces (all chick do this) - they can become overloaded without being outside on ground. It's only when there are too many that it overwhelms the system.
Corid (Amprolium) acts as a Thiamine (B1) blocker - essentially it starves out/prevents the Coccidia from being able to utilize B1 which it needs to grow/reproduce. This reduces the numbers and allows the chicks to build resistance.

You may want to do some more research on organic treatment for Coccidiosis in poultry. I just don't know enough about alternative treatments to make any suggestions.

You mention winter will kill the parasite. Coccidia are protozoa, they live in the soil and in chicken poop (in the intestines), they may become dormant in the soil over winter, but cold weather does not kill them. Chickens naturally have Coccidia - this is why chicks in a brooder (even a cardboard box inside your house) can have an overload - warm, wet conditions and chicks consuming their own feces (all chick do this) - they can become overloaded without being outside on ground. It's only when there are too many that it overwhelms the system.
Corid (Amprolium) acts as a Thiamine (B1) blocker - essentially it starves out/prevents the Coccidia from being able to utilize B1 which it needs to grow/reproduce. This reduces the numbers and allows the chicks to build resistance.

http://goatconnection.com/articles/publish/printer_99.shtml

Freezing (winter) will kill them and hot, dry conditions will also do them in

Theres others if you wanna see. I guess it depends which straind it is and all that.

Idk

Last edited:

I did organic research and I was told that I should do medicine even tho they have never been exposed which I didnt understand.

I dont know if doing the 21 day preventative will stop it from possibly happening again and keep medicating them or if i should do what I researched bout organically medicating them and adding some grass with soil on it to try to build their immune systems. < the baby chicks who habe never been exposed. Theyre only 3 weeks old and theyre brooder is brand new. The have never been mixed.

Also I am thinking they were already sick cause the 1 died in a couple days exactly like these ones did. I think moving them outside intesified it.
So they will and are on the medication tho I think my cockereals immune system pulled through. This will just make sure its out of both of them. Then I will do a week of probiotics then 2 weeks of the I think its .006% preventative. It sucked losing them like this
But I have been very emotional because the exact time im losing my chicks I am losing my grandmother so excuse me if i come off rude.

I am just going through hell atm.

I was told it was okay to eat their eggs and everything on this but found others saying its not okay. Idk what to think on that either.

I hate conflicting shit

Also i read all that about where it lives and blah blah blah. I read the whole article and about the corid. I think it was on their site or someones site that helped me understand what I was giving them and what could of possibly happened.

The chick that died tho was only a week old when it died. I thought it just didnt develop right. I didnt know about coccidiousis. The rest grew fast and were all feathered so I thought lets try the outside. And it was going great then idk what happened.
But I got two champs so far and theyre on medicine and I am proud of them.
I medicated my whole flock outside as well just to make sure nothing happens to them even tho they showed no signs. Its just a precaution. Most are opd enough to not worry but some arent but they are big enough to be with them.

Last edited:
UPDATE

I started the medication today. I looked up that it takes 3 to 4 days for them to show improvement but these guys have already improved greatly.

Theyre feathers look so much better. No one is buffed and they both are no longer huddling together. They run at a way better speed from me. Ive watched them clean and eat. They ate almost a whole quart or whatever of the bottle feeder between just the two of them which is a huge improvement. They drank way more water then they were.

I think thankfully theyre immune systems kicked butt. They are already started on day 2 of their medicine.

Theyre looking so much better. I am so thankful. I didnt want to come home from work and find that another slipped into that sleepy phase where theyre organs shut down.

Theyre doing wonderful. They were on probiotics and electrolytes called save a chick. I stopped that to start the medicine.

I read that vitamins and such stop the medicine from working and above explains why. ^^^^^^^^

I lost my chicks so quick. But i am grateful to be spared 2.
I made sure that the last one at least died peacefully and in comfort. I hope I did the for the second to last one since it to died the same way.
Rocky died after what seemed was a seizure. The other 2 died in their sleep before I even knew they were sick. They were running around and everything. Chasing bugs. We check them at night too and they looked right at me. Finding them dead was a complete shock.
It killed mine so quickly but now I know what to look for and what to keep an eye out for.
A very harsh but good lesson in the end.

I will be definitely ordering cochins in my future. I absolutely loved them. I am glad to at least have one.

<3

Thanks everyone. Sorry for this wild journey. I was quite panicked during the whole thing.

https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/11/coccidia-coccidiosis-natural-prevention.html?m=1

Natural way to treat your chicks ^

All my flocks but my organic pullet chicks have went throygh their 5 day treatment and are doing... Normal? Nothing really changed. The only flock that suffered were the cochin silkie mixes that I only have 2 of. Theyre gaining weight and my cochins combs color came back. Theyre immune systems could have been just weak or something. I am not really sure. I didnt get them from a hatchery.

Theyre on probiotics now for 7 days then back on the preventative dose for 14 to 21 days.

My organic hens I am trying the natural way to see if it works. If not, the corid is on hand. But they still got another week or 2 in here with me.

We will see what will happen.

Back
Top Bottom