Cochin/silkie sick chicks?

Pics

CloudedLullaby

Chirping
Jul 12, 2019
I had 8 what I was told was silkies. 5 were cochins and 3 were silkies. One died a couple days in. The rest have seemed fine and were growing all their feathers then suddenly after 4 weeks I had 3 die on me.
2 died sleeping. They looked smothered. I had moved them with chicks 3 weeks older and i am guessing that I made a mistake that way.

Rocky, the only one named and my fav, died in my arms at home. I am pretty sure he had a seizure, unless he was kicking around cause I picked him up. He died after spitting up a bunch of clear liquid onto me. He died just like the one did a couple days in.

I got these chicks from a friend who found them online on pennswoods. The person said they were a week old which was impossible cause they still had their egg tooth. And they lied about what they were.

Maybe they were all sick to begin with? Idk. I hope I didnt mess shit up.

They were eating the same exact food but now I am beginning to think the 3 that I moved them in with bullied them into not eating or drinking.

I brought them home immediately. I gave them save a chick electrolyte and probitotics.

Theyre spitting the clear liquid up.

2 cochins and 1 silkie are all puffed up.

Did I **** up?

They ate all their food but barely drank.

All seem way more aware.
But the one pictured only moves if it has too but is way more aware with its head and eyes.

20190810_213924.jpg

I would treat them for Coccidiosis. You can find Corid in the cattle section of Tractor Supply. Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Don't give extra vitamins during the course of treatment.

Raise your water station onto a block of wood or something, this will keep it cleaner and free of wood shavings.

I would still check their crops first thing in the morning to see if they are empty. Spitting up brown liquid can be an indication of crop problems or if picked up and pressed, they will sometime spit up liquid and aspirate.

Keep us posted.

UPDATE

Theyre moving around a lot more and are more aware. I fed them so I will check in a while to see how much they consume. 2 are still fluffed up but moving around a lot more.
The one patridge I posted in the first post is moving around a lot more. She'll actually walk around now.

No new or worsening symptoms.

Just still fluffed out.

I will check if theyre still eating in a bit.

I looked coccidiousis and I found a treatment I can do and a preventative.
I still dont think they have it though. They dont have the symptoms.
They were spitting up clear liquid.
Their poop is brown. The only one runny ish was the one that passed.
I am gonna treat all of them just as a preventative as I do not want to lose any more birds just in case.
These 8 were very fragile and easily stressed out when I got them. I have a horrible feeling I stressed them out and caused theyre deaths.

2 are still fluffed up

Being fluffed up/huddled is a symptom of Coccidiosis. What did you find as a treatment and preventative?

Spitting up clear liquid to me is still a indication of a crop issue unless they are running out of water and then drinking a lot. Do they have chick grit?
It's not uncommon for crop issues to be a symptom of an underlying condition - anything that slows, blocks or disrupts the digestive process in turn, causes crop problems. Some common causes of crop problems are Coccidiosis (inflammation of the intestines), Worms (again inflammation and/or blockage), reproductive disorders (yours are young so really not a concern, but infection/inflammation) and any type of infection can cause swelling. Of course chick(ens) can consume bedding, long pieces of food/vegetation, etc. and end up with an impaction or blockage either in the crop, gizzard or intestines.

adding a little more info - there are 9 strains of Coccidia in chickens, only 2 show up as blood in the poop so just because there is no blood does not mean there's not a problem- evaluating symptoms as a whole gives you a better idea of what's going on. Also if you are hesitant in treating - take a mix of samples to your vet or state lab for testing of Coccidia and worms to see if they need treatment.

ahh...I must have misunderstood about the liquid coming out of their crops.

Amprolium is Corid. I hope they get to feeling better.

Yeah I read that in the article. I read about all of it to make sure its okay to treat them. No offense to anyone but I am not going to anything until i know its right for them.

And no its okay. There was clear liquid that was coming out of the one that passed right as he passed. Here it was water.
And one had a crop full more water while his crop was full and I accidentally pushed the water out and I didnt realize that was a thing until I searched more into it.

I was panicking when I posted this forum.

I have been trying to be clear with my updates but I am not so good at with my words.

They are all fine this morning and ate and drank before falling back to sleep.

I think ive done the best to my ability for them.

I am getting apple cider vinegar with mother today just to put some in their water just cause I think its healthy for them.

And I am getting corid now for them and I am gonna treat all the flocks just to prevent it too

I would try to get fluids into her first, you can drip drops beside her beak and let her take it in or dip a qtip in the water and press it lightly against the beak and let a drop or two go in the beak.
Once she's hydrated, see if she can manage some soupy chick starter.
If you have small syringes, you can also get fluids into her as shown in the link below, careful that she doesn't aspirate.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/

I had 8 what I was told was silkies. 5 were cochins and 3 were silkies. One died a couple days in. The rest have seemed fine and were growing all their feathers then suddenly after 4 weeks I had 3 die on me.
2 died sleeping. They looked smothered. I had moved them with chicks 3 weeks older and i am guessing that I made a mistake that way.

Rocky, the only one named and my fav, died in my arms at home. I am pretty sure he had a seizure, unless he was kicking around cause I picked him up. He died after spitting up a bunch of clear liquid onto me. He died just like the one did a couple days in.

I got these chicks from a friend who found them online on pennswoods. The person said they were a week old which was impossible cause they still had their egg tooth. And they lied about what they were.

Maybe they were all sick to begin with? Idk. I hope I didnt mess shit up.

They were eating the same exact food but now I am beginning to think the 3 that I moved them in with bullied them into not eating or drinking.

I brought them home immediately. I gave them save a chick electrolyte and probitotics.

Theyre spitting the clear liquid up.

2 cochins and 1 silkie are all puffed up.

Did I **** up?

They ate all their food but barely drank.

All seem way more aware.
But the one pictured only moves if it has too but is way more aware with its head and eyes.

View attachment 1874469
What does their poop look like ? Are they light or good weight? Do their crops empty overnight?what do you feed them?

What does their poop look like ? Are they light or good weight? Do their crops empty overnight?what do you feed them?

Chick starter crumble. Exactly what they were eating before.
They are empty now. They were empty before.
So I am unsure.
I'll look at their poop now see if can see any.

Water and food after i brought them back.

Food is now different. Is chick starter but different brand and 20 percent

20190810_220756.jpg
20190810_220806.jpg

Chick starter crumble. Exactly what they were eating before.
They are empty now. They were empty before.
So I am unsure.
I'll look at their poop now see if can see any.

Water and food after i brought them back.

Food is now different. Is chick starter but different brand and 20 percent

View attachment 1874481 View attachment 1874482
They could need deworming or if they have bloody poop you could have a cocci outbreak. Corid will be good for cocci. Wazine can be used as a dewormer. Cocci is common is young chicks. Are their vents clear? If they are eating to fast and drinking they may spit up when they are lifted and the crop is pressed. It's very likely they were ill before you got them . They shouldn't be placed with other birds right off. It's best to quarantine for 14 days with new arrivals to check for illnesses.

Back
Top Bottom