Cochin Thread!!!

unfortunately there is no 'easy answer' when it comes to broodies... some will sit for months, some for only days. just depends on the bird. that's why i incubate everything myself, because i don't trust them to find the right nest when they get off to go eat or sit long enough... so that's why i will only give broodies hatching eggs (usually day 18 or 19).

that being said tho, usually i want more eggs than i do broodies, so i try to break the broody. I do this by relocating her to a nest in the 'bachelor pad' pen (occasionally used for breeding, thus the nest boxes). the roosters will usually harrass her enough to chase her off the nest for good after a week or so.

besides, i like the personalities and total trust of people-hatched babies over broody babies. the last broody babies i had, when i had to catch them they'd scream like a banshee until i put them back down... my 'people babies' on the other hand, will hop onto my leg/shoulder/head when i sit down in the yard to take pics or give treats. the broodie babies still don't trust me after a year!
Thanks for your input & wow "some will sit for months". So, I am I right in assuming then the only downfall or bad thing with just letting them stay broody is you won't get any eggs for her? If so, then again, is this the worse thing that can come of just letting her do her thing?
We do want to hatch babies, just not right now, maybe towards the end of Feb., maybe from a broody hen but also maybe in the incubator.
I just want to make sure that if we do not stop her ourselves that she will be okay and eventually will come out of it on her own.

Here's my opinion on a broody hen...
If you let your hen sit on an empty nest in the henhouse with other layers, her nest won't be empty long. She will commondeer eggs laid by other hens or a hen will lay in her chosen nest while she is exercising.
If your hen does not get off her nest to eat, drink and exercise then that is not good...she is pooping in her nest creating an environment too moist and bacteria will breed more quickly. Her backside will get nasty and heavily soiled feathers can become packed.
Break your broody now and she might go broody in February when you want her to hatch eggs for you.

I have a 7 month old blue splash Cochin. She's a large fowl. She's such a sweetheart, and I love her to death. Her name is Vera. She's very shy and a bit dumber than her sisters. She's always the last one to figure something out, and always lags behind when it's time for bed and dinner. She loves dirt baths more than any of the other girls and I see her in the sand pit nearly every day! She loves being held, and even likes when I rub vaseline on her wattles. Surprisingly, she's not very broody at all. I've never seen her setting on her eggs. She's just so cute, her feathered feet might be my favorite thing about her!

cochin bared rock mix!!!!

he is a rooster! his name is Oreo! he is very sweet
big_smile.png

Here's my opinion on a broody hen...
If you let your hen sit on an empty nest in the henhouse with other layers, her nest won't be empty long. She will commondeer eggs laid by other hens or a hen will lay in her chosen nest while she is exercising.
If your hen does not get off her nest to eat, drink and exercise then that is not good...she is pooping in her nest creating an environment too moist and bacteria will breed more quickly. Her backside will get nasty and heavily soiled feathers can become packed.
Break your broody now and she might go broody in February when you want her to hatch eggs for you.
Thanks for your opinion. I do believe I will try the breaking starting tomorrow. We have seen her out/off the nest on her own accord but not sure how often and the nest actually seems still clean and no other mature pullets/hens in with her at this time.
So, yes I'll try breaking her this time.
thanks

Just to toot my own horn here
smile.png

I have a listing in hatching eggs for red bantam cochin eggs. I've been working hard to develop a nice flock of reds and I will have started birds available this Spring

I have a 7 month old blue splash Cochin. She's a large fowl. She's such a sweetheart, and I love her to death. Her name is Vera. She's very shy and a bit dumber than her sisters. She's always the last one to figure something out, and always lags behind when it's time for bed and dinner. She loves dirt baths more than any of the other girls and I see her in the sand pit nearly every day! She loves being held, and even likes when I rub vaseline on her wattles. Surprisingly, she's not very broody at all. I've never seen her setting on her eggs. She's just so cute, her feathered feet might be my favorite thing about her!

Very Nice! But what is the interesting bird on it's right with the interesting pattern and a black head? I would love a better look at that one.

Back
Top Bottom