Cochin Thread!!!

very nice looking bird :)
Just to toot my own horn here
smile.png

I have a listing in hatching eggs for red bantam cochin eggs. I've been working hard to develop a nice flock of reds and I will have started birds available this Spring

I use the ivermectin at .35 cc per adult bantam cochin. works well for the worms, but not so well for the mites. I use dog frontline for the mites once a month. also for poopy butts I just cut off the feathers where it's sticking so it doesn't gather more (unless of course it's show season)

I use Valbazen for internal pests (worms). I use Ivermectrin pour-on for external pests (mites & lice). I will also bathe my birds with Sergeant's Gold Flea & Tick Shampoo, dust my birds with Sevin and I use poultry dust in their bedding. I call the 4 way treatment "The Nuclear Cure". Once I spend a day stripping pens, bathing birds and treating them with the a fore mentioned, I don't see bugs again afterwards. With Ivermectrin pour-on, you have the 30 day egg withdrawal so you may as well treat for worms w/ Valbazen at the same time.

I use Valbazen for internal pests (worms). I use Ivermectrin pour-on for external pests (mites & lice). I will also bathe my birds with Sergeant's Gold Flea & Tick Shampoo, dust my birds with Sevin and I use poultry dust in their bedding. I call the 4 way treatment "The Nuclear Cure". Once I spend a day stripping pens, bathing birds and treating them with the a fore mentioned, I don't see bugs again afterwards. With Ivermectrin pour-on, you have the 30 day egg withdrawal so you may as well treat for worms w/ Valbazen at the same time.
actually i don't think there is a published withdrawal for ivermectin and eggs...

we just continue eating the eggs. ivermectin is also approved for human use to prevent intestinal worms in 3rd world countries, so... guess i won't have to worry about them for me either, if it does pass via egg (which i don't think has been established).

actually i don't think there is a published withdrawal for ivermectin and eggs... 

we just continue eating the eggs. ivermectin is also approved for human use to prevent intestinal worms in 3rd world countries, so...  guess i won't have to worry about them for me either, if it does pass via egg (which i don't think has been established).

I was told via BYC members there was a withdrawal. I thought I read on the bottle there was a milk withdrawal for cows... I could be wrong, but I know I was told by BYCers. -shrug- I incubate my eggs anyways - but won't eat them.

as per the manufacturer, there is no established withdrawal for eggs.

that either means they've never tested it, or it's a negligible amount (or not at all). but again, since so little is used for the bird, considering metabolism of the drug, the amount found in an egg, if there is any, would be almost immeasurable.

i use .2cc per bird. it's a 1% solution (.01mg/1cc), so the birds are getting .002 mg of ivermectin... take a 5 pound bird, if serum levels are presumed equal in eggs as the rest of the body, that would make .0004 mg per pound of chicken. a large egg weighs 2 ounces. so that's 1/8 of a pound... making that .00005 mg of ivermectin?

to compare to the following study, that's .05 micrograms... regarding arsenic levels in rice, for example... The FDA's analysis showed average levels of 3.5 to 6.7 micrograms of inorganic arsenic per serving, while Consumer Reports found levels up to 8.7 micrograms.

so... i'll continue eating the eggs without fear of ivermectin.

wink.png

Last edited:
I posted a couple days ago about my girl Vera...a thought just occurred to me to ask you guys about this funny thing she does: when I come near her to pet her, she squats down like she's ready to mate. When I bend down to stroke her back, she gets really into it and makes these silly grunting sounds. Do anyone else's birds do that??

Back
Top Bottom