Cochin Thread!!!

Quick question? What do bantam cochin eggs look like? I have my girls in the main coop and my roo is still seperated. Someone laid their first egg but theres a chance it could be a silkie. If im sure its not the silkie I will set up a breeding pen. Hoping its my first cochin egg and I can start hatching soon!!
Place 5-6 drops of food coloring on her vent. It will put fain streaks of color on the eggs for several days. This is red food coloring on an Ameraucana egg.

[/IMG]

I got impatient and went and did it. Note to self..wear gloves next time, and open the caps before u catch the chicken. I had it dripping everywhere lol

Here are pictures of my young Buff Columbians I got from Craig. They were not very cooperative but I gave it my best.

I picked these guys up in early February and If I remember right Craig said they were hatched in August or September so 5-6 months old.

Please pardon my filthy coop! I haven't cleaned out in a few months! The snow here has been terrible!

Here are a few current pictures of my Columbians.

My cochins eggs are white,a bit smaller than my silkies and the silkies are light beige....hope this help but it can be a guessing game when they are pullets. If I am really confused on who it is from ,I color thier vents with Wilton's cake frosting colors ,it doesn't last very long but long enough to figure out who is giving me eggs...Good Luck
My bird's eggs are different colors depending on bird color; Buff and Self-Blue are a little bit brown or cream, Mille Fleur are a little lighter than that, so are my Blacks. The Partridge have almost white eggs., Mottles too.

Back
Top Bottom