Cochin Thread!!!

Some time ago I posted this pic of this chick who had extremely large feet. Someone on this post suggested I name him Woogie so I did. Anyway here is the before pic and the after of what Woogie grew up to be. I know for all you professionals out there he is not a good "type" but geez I really love this guy. He's really big and really friendly.
He is beautiful!

Some time ago I posted this pic of this chick who had extremely large feet. Someone on this post suggested I name him Woogie so I did. Anyway here is the before pic and the after of what Woogie grew up to be.

I know for all you professionals out there he is not a good "type" but geez I really love this guy. He's really big and really friendly.
Looks like you have a Splash and more with in there that has nice color too. Enjoy him

Hi can anyone tell me what colour my pekin is please?

Last edited:
We did well at the Northern New England Bird Fanciers Basket Show last weekend :)

My Jamie Matts LF Black Cockerel - Best Asiatic

My red bantam cochin cock

My red bantam cochin pullet

I have lots more reds (some for sale) and will have started LF cochins available in the Spring :)
Congratulations Joanie! Awsome birds!

My hatcher has some gorgeous Cochins. Since we are in Texas you might have to get her to ship hatching eggs but the 2 we got from her are gorgeous blue and brown mottled. And great temperament. You can find her at the ricks chicks farm on Facebook!

Hi can anyone tell me what colour my pekin is please?

if I had to guess I would say your Pekin came from a partridge at some point. It seems to have a copy of patterning gene. I have seen similar things on pencilled(silver version of partridge) birds. See the pullet below next to my mottled cockerel.

She displays the same patterning as yours. Have any more pics at a different angle?

if I had to guess I would say your Pekin came from a partridge at some point. It seems to have a copy of patterning gene. I have seen similar things on pencilled(silver version of partridge) birds. See the pullet below next to my mottled cockerel.

She displays the same patterning as yours. Have any more pics at a different angle?

Thankyou for the reply,shes gone to roost now but I will get more pics tommorrow basucally she has the same pattern on her wings but her head and top of back is very ginger and the ginger is even all over no differant shades of brown/red then that pattern =\ ive searched google all day for a colour indication as I like her pattern and wanted to breed from her but I have no idea what to breed her too to make her offspring pure.. the guy I got her from said she was a sablepoot? After searching I realised that is very far from true =\

You wont find a pattern that matches unfortunately because it isn't a recognised one. She is probably a project bird. I would wager she may have come from a mille project, but it really is impossible to know. The barring in the feathers may be caused by a gene called db. But that would be a guess.

Her offspring won't be pure in terms of colour, or rather, she won't give you that exact colour :) You can breed her to a lot of things, depending on what you want in the end. If you knew what her history was, or what the patents were then it would give a better indication.

This is what I enjoy about breeding, you sometimes get surprised :)

Last edited:
Some time ago I posted this pic of this chick who had extremely large feet. Someone on this post suggested I name him Woogie so I did. Anyway here is the before pic and the after of what Woogie grew up to be.

I know for all you professionals out there he is not a good "type" but geez I really love this guy. He's really big and really friendly.
actually I think I said wookie... (aka chewbakka) but he's cute.

Back
Top Bottom