Cochin Thread!!!

FRIZZLES made simple.

To hatch a frizzle one of the parents must be frizzle. Breeding 2 smooth birds with a frizzle parent will NOT produce a frizzle chicks.

Half or more of the offspring will be smooth(non frizzled) and the rest frizzled.

2 Frizzles should NEVER be bred together.

A Frizzle that is bred to smooth bird that is out of a frizzle breeding generally will have better Frizzle.

Frizzles are judged by all of the same criteria as smooth birds so use the best smooth you can find to breed to a frizzle.

Someone near us must have recently decided they want cochins... two of mine have been stolen along with half a bag of feed, a waterer, and a feed bowl and nesting box. :( They took my two black cochins, both of which were about four months old and had lovely shiny feathers and such sweet dispositions.
So sorry. Post something on Craigslist? Post in farm aand garden, pets, and lost areas. They may be found.

Someone near us must have recently decided they want cochins... two of mine have been stolen along with half a bag of feed, a waterer, and a feed bowl and nesting box. :( They took my two black cochins, both of which were about four months old and had lovely shiny feathers and such sweet dispositions.
File a police report. These guys might come back for more than chickens. Setting up a game cam helps busting the scummy chicken thieves. So sorry
hugs.gif

Have you recently had anyone at your house to buy chickens who might have come back to take additional birds? This happened to my friend.

Haven't sold any birds lately, and no one has been over (well... at least not with permission! LOL) We tried filing a police report but were told that "all birds look alike" to them so they don't think they can trace it. Supposedly no footprints were found (I have pictures of some....) and no other evidence other than my word that stuff is missing. Of course, these are city boy cops who think chickens are a waste of time. I'm not giving up as this is the second time we have had chickens stolen. Last time it was a hen and roo breeding pair of OEG. Also going to be putting up a game cam and doing shotgun vigils *evil grin* I almost dare them to come back.... I'm so far beyond mad at this point!!

Doesn't sound like it was some kid either, most young kids wouldn't think to steal all the supplies to take care of it too. if the cops wont do anything I would plaster pictures all over the neighborhood of them and on craigslist in case anyone is trying to sell them.

a lot of people don't realize how expensive chickens can be, especially when they're quality birds. I'd be keeping my ears open for chicken noises in the neighborhood too.

ETA:
the feed and supplies are your property as well, so even if the cops don't wanna deal with the animals it's still a theft.

Last edited:
I totally agree. Sad thing is, listening for chicken noises in the area won't do me any good LOL So many people out here have them, I'd be sticking my nose in everyone's yard investigating chicken noises. And out here... thats likely to get me shot! :) I'm still pursuing it because I do have a reciept from the feed bowl and waterer, and a receipt from buying food just last Monday. (And seeing as I currently have 15 chickens, I wouldn't go through two 50 lb bags in a week!!)

I would talk to all your neighbors and warn them. They might also be missing some birds. The one who trys to get rid of you the fastest is probably the guilty party.

Doesn't sound like it was some kid either, most young kids wouldn't think to steal all the supplies to take care of it too. if the cops wont do anything I would plaster pictures all over the neighborhood of them and on craigslist in case anyone is trying to sell them.

a lot of people don't realize how expensive chickens can be, especially when they're quality birds. I'd be keeping my ears open for chicken noises in the neighborhood too.

ETA:
the feed and supplies are your property as well, so even if the cops don't wanna deal with the animals it's still a theft.

I wouldnt be so sure they arent kids stealing. I dont know how much your chickens are worth but most adults would just buy them if they wanted them that bad. Have you noticed eggs missing? If you have an egg thief that might be an adult who just decided to take the chickens. I am more inclined to think its a teenager who wants to raise chickens but has no money to do it. There are a lot of teens on this forum who are probably more knowledgable about what are good chickens and what they need than most adults. Ok you have quite a number of chickens. Why did they steal those two? Unless you have mostly black cochins, I would say its because they love the pretty black cochins and wanted their own. Notice they got a matched set. It really sounds like someone who wanted to raise them but either didnt have money, most likely, or is just a natural born thief who just takes what they want. Notice too that they got two. Enough to keep them happy but not so much that they are going to be noticable to parents as something other than a 'gift'.
Oh and did the police even take a report? That is just crazy that they wont even look. A theft is a theft. If chickens are freebies in your town then who knows how many chickens have been stolen!

We actually only had 3 black cochin hens, and they took two fluffy ones. These aren't show quality, but they were filling out nicely and had good feather quality with a nice sheen to them. Not expensive but two of our better looking birds. We've talked to a few neighbors, and they all called the police department to complain that this was not being taken seriously. These particular hens weren't laying yet but the breeding pair of OEG were breeding and we were getting eggs. That's food out of my kids mouths when they were stolen. We have put posters up and will just have to wait and see. Appreciate all y'alls advice and letting me vent! :)

Back
Top Bottom