Cochin Thread!!!

Mottled pair

silver laced pair

little red pullet

columbian roo?(i guess)

buff columbian pullet

smooth frizzle pullet(MF/Partridge)

smoothe frizzle pullet(Blue/Partridge)

ok I don't get something... I keep seeing people say 'smooth frizzle' and pictures of non-frizzled birds...

my understanding is that the frizzle is a dominant gene, so if they're not frizzled, then they don't carry it. and breeding 2 non-frizzled birds won't ever give you frizzles. so either they are frizzles or they're normal cochins.

casey, care to hop in here and verify this please?

I actually thought you had to have 2 frizzle genes to make a frizzle. So smooth carrying frizz would make sense to me. But I'm not positive on that, just what I had heard from someone else.

I have a rooster that carries no frizzle gene and hens that show the frizzle gene and get 50% frizzles.

I also have two birds that carry the frizzle gene, but their feathers aren't frizzled and they throw 1 out of 3 babies that frizzle out.

Last edited:
It was nice yesterday and I managed to get a couple pics of a few of the birds. :)

Frizzle Roo with his favorite lady, the showgirl.

Our first Cochin momma with her 3 babies. 2 belong to the frizz.EE but the brown(partridge i think) one is full Cochin, and frizzled!

I actually thought you had to have 2 frizzle genes to make a frizzle. So smooth carrying frizz would make sense to me. But I'm not positive on that, just what I had heard from someone else.
frizz to frizz is NOT a good thing... you want to breed smooth to frizz. otherwise the feathers are super brittle and you could end up with a practically bald bird.

Back
Top Bottom