Cochin Thread!!!

Here are my chicks at almost 4 weeks, not sure if they are cochins or bantam orpington cross, any guesses on sex will be appreciated, I have put them in age order and my guesses beside their names
smile.png

Chick 1 - Coco - pullet - smaller than the others not as much tail growth

Chick 2 - Butterscotch - really hoping pullet but think roo - has the most feather developement and is the biggest

Chick 3 - Walter - Roo - will peck my finger before I am allowed to stroke him, comb appears redder than the others and definite red lines where wattles will be

Chick 4 - Mumbo (looked like a penguin when hatched) - pullet, a bit more tail develoement than Coco, shyest and loner of the group

I think you are looking at a great breed for cuddling & friendliness in the Cochin. Also, look into orpingtons, brahmas, & silkies. Mypetchicken usually has buff orpingtons & brahmas readily available for a good price, & my experience with ordering from them was excellent. I only have actual experience with a 4 week old white cochin, but she is super sweet, calmer than my polish & wyandotte, & seriously LOVES her cuddles from everyone in our family. I looked into so many breeds. Friendliness & cuddly were the 2 most important traits to me, so I have all of these breeds I listed except silkie coming next week :).
Thanks! I already have a light brahma and buff orphington in my flock, they are nice :), tbh my brahma enjoys cuddles more than my orphington though. A silkie is coming along in the order from mpc so hopefully next time I can get a Cochin. It would be so easy if my not so local farm store had Cochins. :)

Here are my chicks at almost 4 weeks, not sure if they are cochins or bantam orpington cross, any guesses on sex will be appreciated, I have put them in age order and my guesses beside their names
smile.png

Chick 1 - Coco - pullet - smaller than the others not as much tail growth

Chick 2 - Butterscotch - really hoping pullet but think roo - has the most feather developement and is the biggest

Chick 3 - Walter - Roo - will peck my finger before I am allowed to stroke him, comb appears redder than the others and definite red lines where wattles will be

Chick 4 - Mumbo (looked like a penguin when hatched) - pullet, a bit more tail develoement than Coco, shyest and loner of the group

Chick 2 has the wrong photos the close ups are the same as chick 4, will try to revise photos later

I put 1 doz eggs under hens and 9 hatched with 3 pipped for a customer. I just sent her a pic and she's in love already. My goodness my girls do such a great job at hatching! All are sold as buyer put a deposit on them a few weeks ago. She wanted only 6 so fig with odds I would put a doz under hens... Well all 12 are hatching and buyer said she's taking all doz as they are so cute And now addicted to Cochin's!!! Lol!m

I was going to get a Cochin in the order I placed a few days ago from mypetchicken, but that would have delayed the shipping by a week due to availability. For next time, is this an ideal breed for pets? My chickens are pets and friendliness is my top priority with them :), so I would love to hear experiences with any nice or mean Cochins people have had. Tbh it would be awesome to cuddle them, so would anybody describe Cochins as cuddly or friendly or lap chickens? Thanks :)

Someone gave us a buff standard cochin when I was a kids and she was so sweet. And now I have 8 chicken from 5 weeks to 7 weeks and they are al bantams but 1. They are very friendly, calm sweet and fluid balls. I just love them. Mine aren't really lap chickens but if you take one away from the flock just to snuggle then they till just sit on ur shoulder or lap and relax. But if others are with them they would rather be with the chickens but enjoys being close to me. Duccles are very sweet and calm too!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom