Cochin Thread!!!

My Brahmas sat on, hatched and brooded without incident, 24 large-jumbo eggs last spring.
The chicks would 'swim' through her feathers, play hop-on-mom and she was the best momma I have ever seen.
Gentle, and what a super teacher, holding worms out to them, and she feeding the babies tidbits and bugs.
She is in my avatar, with blue copper marans chicks.
I have only had bantam cochins in the past, and none went broody.
I have LF Lemon-Blues and a bunch in the incubator as well, and I wouls think the LF Cochins have the same big puffy butt as the brahmas, that they could handle more eggs.
They do seem clumsy though, what with so much foot feathering, maybe that is why they step on babies/eggs ?
My brahmas do not have as much toe feathers as a LF Cochin.
Incidently, my brahmas are from McMurray, and in all fairness, I have ordered multitudes of dozens of baby chicks from McMurray, and they have been extremely hardy, never had 1 die.
But, they are still hatchery birds, albeit healthy hatchery birds, and after a super fall moult, all my beautiful white brahmas are severely penciled from head to tail ...so after all their pluses, they are still hatchery birds.
I do not breed them, if I did I would get some from that guy in Minnesota that just posted a whole bunch of photos on the rarest chicken thread...I just use my brahmas for brooding.
I will see if I can find the link to the Minnesota guy.

Last edited:
Quote:
Of coarse they are.
51721_glcs_10-11-2010_025.jpg

Quote:
Not dumb at all. According to my books, Cochin 'white' is recessive.

I think thats right I know mine are, some hatch with alot of gray on them, a characteristic of recessive.

Quote:
While both Bantam (Feather-Legged Class) and Large Fowl (Asiatic Class) are found in lots of new and exciting colors, these are the color varieties recognized by the APA and ABA:

Bantam Varieties:
1) Barred
2) Birchen
3) Black
4) Blue
5) Brown Red
6) Buff
7) Columbian
8) Golden Laced
9) Mottled
10) Partridge
11) Red
12) Silver Laced
13) White

The following colors are also recognized by the ABA (Bantam), but they are not listed on the APA's list of recognized colors for Bantams. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge can clarify the discrepancy:
14) Black Tailed Red
15) Buff Columbian
16) Lemon Blue
17) Silver Pencilled

Large Fowl Varieties:
1) Barred
2) Black
3) Blue
4) Brown
5) Buff
6) Golden Laced
7) Partridge