Cochin Thread!!!

Quote:
Can you bring the broody inside to raise her babies until the weather improves? Maybe provide mom and babies with a heat lamp?

Both pullets are stlii sitting on more eggs. I'll just raise these in the brooder.
We are supposed to get more bad weather Monday or sooner and I don't think it is going to get warm enough to melt all the stuff we've got now befor then. I'm from Michigan and this isn't unusual weather for me but Oklahoma does not have enought equiptment to clear much. I teach school and I'm glad we were off again today or I'd have not found the chicks until 5:00 p.m. or so.

Oh good. I hope they still get to me mommies after all that sitting! There is nothing sweeter in the world. Good luck to you. I would send you some California sunshine if I could!

hi all im just starting out in the world of cochins and am glad to have found this thread.
i currently have a trio of white cochins, a trio of blue cochins plus two black cochin hens, a trio of buff bantam cochins and a trio of black bantam cochins.

i have a question which you may all laugh at but i cant find the answer too.

i really love the buff colour and can find only a rooster in the 'big' cochin category. is it possible to cross him to any of my girls to get some buff babies or will they come out a dodgy colour?

Quote:
Glad we were able to help. Sometimes I think 4-H and County Fairs are doing a real dis-service to our poultry youth. I think it's good that they're trying to get more youth involved and teach them to show, but wouldn't it be just as easy to do it correctly? (Just thinking out loud here.)

I think the best thing for you to do at this stage is to buy your kids either an APA (for Large Fowl) or ABA ( for Bantam) Standard. You can usually find them for around $30. They are just invaluable!

PS - My Uncle lives in Delavan! But doesn't raise chickens.

~Gail

Quote:
I think you made the right decision to take them in. No chick can for long handle the temps you are currently experiencing. A pullet becomes a hen at a year of age. I have cold weather even a little colder and snow a little deeper than yours but we expect that in Iowa.I hope you have many more healthy chicks.

Quote:
I think you made the right decision to take them in. No chick can for long handle the temps you are currently experiencing. A pullet becomes a hen at a year of age. I have cold weather even a little colder and snow a little deeper than yours but we expect that in Iowa.I hope you have many more healthy chicks.

I don't know what happened but none of them made it. They were walking around and chirping but then the next time I checked on them they were dead.
sad.png
I had them under a heat lamp. Was it too close, too far away, should I have given them water immediately?
I'm very sad. I checked the nests again and there aren't new hatches yet.

Quote:

I don't know what happened but none of them made it. They were walking around and chirping but then the next time I checked on them they were dead.
sad.png
I had them under a heat lamp. Was it too close, too far away, should I have given them water immediately?

i'm really sorry.

Quote:

sad.png

Sorry about your babies.
hugs.gif

Quote:

sad.png

Sorry that the chicks didn't make it ....this cold is brutal

Sometimes too much heat over chicks is as fatal as too little.
sad.png
A brooder needs a cooler area where the chicks can move if they are too hot.

I've learned to listen when chicks are in a brooder. Too much chirping means that they are cold or not comfortable. Quiet chicks are warm and comfortable.

Oh..and a pullet is a hen at one year

JMO

I went out to feed & water a few minutes ago, one of my Bantam Cochin x Silkie hens had three light green eggs in the big nesting box. I'm pretty sure they were all belonged to the same hen, the eggs were all together & the same color.
smile.png

Edit:

Here's a pic !
167713_10150134723319134_630754133_7738511_8022247_n.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom