Cochin Thread!!!

It is not too early to be planning a trip to Indianapolis this fall. Are any of you planning on either showing or just going? I went to the last one 5 years ago and it was awesome. There were over 10,000 birds at that show.

Last edited:
Super nice BC hen!!!
droolin.gif
You just don't see BC hens looking like that very often. Great job!
thumbsup.gif
She is really going to add to the gene pool. You have a marvelous eye when working with these.

Quote:
Cochinman, we recently discussed back length in the LF males, and how that relates to the overall appearance of a large bird. How does that white male stack up?

I set 60 GLC x Black and Black x GLC eggs today in the new Brinsea 190.
fl.gif
I like all the automation, but the automatic humidity pump does not pump sufficient water, even running constantly, to keep the humidity where I want it.
hmm.png

RE: Back length on the White male.

He's 5 years old, and the main male I've used for 4 years. As a cockerel and a two year old he probably looked a bit longer in the cushion, which make them look longer in the back. That all shortens up as they get older. The key is to breed toward a good deep chest on the males. A shallow chested male won't look well balanced no matter what his back length is. For an old bird the White male is still showing good back length. If you focuse too much on shortening up the large Cochins from front to back it will have a negative impact on egg production. Certainly you wouldn't strive toward a bird that goes from neck to Cushion with no back in between. It's tricky. Too much back and they look too long and lose the Cochin type. Same with bantams. Bantams that are too short front to back, don't look well balanced either.

I just got my first egg from Jackson Pullet, my LF "splash" pullet. She was hatched May 5, so 9 months has been a long wait! I do have a spalsh roo form the same hatch, but they are in the pen with my wyandottes, so I will have to separate them out if I want to hatch any of her eggs this Spring.

Quote:
I'm not real sure how to make the post to the breeders directory, so I'll just give you the info and let you do what needs to be done with it.
I breed: Blues (Blacks & Splash), Birchens, Partridge.

Quote:
I'm not real sure how to make the post to the breeders directory, so I'll just give you the info and let you do what needs to be done with it.

Thanx Nancy! I've updated the Master List to include you. I listed everything as Bantam - if that's not correct, let me know.

Quote:

Thanx Nancy! I've updated the Master List to include you. I listed everything as Bantam - if that's not correct, let me know.

Nope, you've got it right. I like the little guys.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom