Cochin Thread!!!

Quote:
usually you can feather sex cochins, at least my bantams I'm about 95% accurate on, not sure about other breeds or LF. I know it does not work on d'uccles

Cochincoop, I have three bantam mottled cochins that all look exactly the same. Same feathering, same comb etc. If I post photos of them can you tell me what you think? They are now a little over a week old.

Quote:
usually you can feather sex cochins, at least my bantams I'm about 95% accurate on, not sure about other breeds or LF. I know it does not work on d'uccles

Cochincoop, I have three bantam mottled cochins that all look exactly the same. Same feathering, same comb etc. If I post photos of them can you tell me what you think? They are now a little over a week old.

go ahead and post the pics and I'll take a look. if you spread the wings it might help too

Chicken math has caught up to me and I am starting to freak out over it a bit. I have to part with some but which ones? I would like to have one pullet from these three to keep. The other two need to go no matter what they are. (The keeper has another bantam buddy to hang with)

Here is Twerp. (I couldn't call him what I wanted to call him/her, it had to be PG-13) So named because it goes around pecking everyone and being obnoxious, chest bumping. Actually they all do that to some extent. They are like little bantam bullies, they have their own gang. I am worried all the other chicks are falling in with the bad crowd, LOL. Sorry for bad camera phone photos.
29542_twerp_1.jpg

29542_twerp_2.jpg

Here is 2 dot, so name because of the two dots on her/his head.
29542_2_dot.jpg

29542_2dot_2.jpg

Here is Number 8, named because the two dots on his/her head touch and look like number 8.
29542_number_8a.jpg

29542_number_8b.jpg

29542_number8c.jpg

Any guesses, thoughts on which one to keep? Excuse my man hands & broken and dirty finger nails.
lol.png

Thank you,

Last edited:
Quote:
i'm sorry it's really hard to tell in those pics but if theyre really young they look like pullets. may be easier to see from underneath so the fluff isnt blocking them
just took some of mine and you can see them a little better. the pullets have longer feathers and skinnier legs

17469_5-9-11_019.jpg

17469_5-9-11_038.jpg

17469_5-9-11_028.jpg

17469_5-9-11_039.jpg

Last edited:
aaawww man by looking at that, my lil mottled may be a cockerel, aack and my frizzle mottled is a cockerel for sure......and my other mottled I think is a cockerel!! Aaack all of my mottleds cockerels, awww man!!

Any thoughts on my lil "Oreo"...as to cockerel or pullet, at this age Rizz was really showing alot of red in the comb and wattle area...
83755_oreo-resized.jpg

Rizz, who's a couple weeks older, and has been practice crowing for teh last 2 weeks. I just moved him to my outdoor coop with a heat lamp at night. I was quite sad, as I love this lil guy.
83755_rizz-resized.jpg

And my lil "Storm"...
83755_2011-05-05_163106-resized.jpg

"Rain" and "Storm"
Rain has feathered in much faster, so leaning towards a pullet.
83755_2011-05-05_163135-resized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom