Cochin Thread!!!

Hi Everyone!
I'm considering Cochins as my first chickens.
Could you please share your experinces with them?
Are they good for begginners?

Quote:
Oh, my gosh! Cochins are the most AWESOME chickens!
love.gif
I got my first trio (show quality black bantams) last summer and I now have probably close to one hundred cochins! That's counting all the babies in the grow out pens. The first thing that drew me to them was their beauty. They are just SO gorgeous. Although, I would recommend getting your first cochins from a reputable breeder ~ rather than a hatchery ~ so that they actually LOOK like Cochins. They'll cost a bit more but will be SO worth it. Plus, then THEIR babies will be worth something. Even if you don't intend to breed, it doesn't cost any more to feed a beautiful, purebred Cochin than it does to feed poor quality chicken.

The second thing that sold me on Cochins was their personalities. The are VERY calm and friendly. My grandsons were able to walk right into the barn and pick up "their" favorites whenever they came to visit. The boys were afraid of the chickens I had before I got my Cochins. I found Cochins to be non-aggressive. Even the roosters. They are just very sweet birds.

They also come in a wide variety of colors. I was working on the "Mille Fleur bantam Cochin" project but have now decided to focus on my true love: "Calico" bantam Cochins. They are just unbelievably beautiful! You can see pictures of them on my blog...

Cochins don't require any special care, mine are excellent egg layers and they make great Moms!

What more could you possible ask for?
hu.gif

Quote:
Oh no, I wasn't thinking I WANTED to breed them, just that I had read that somewhere & wasn't sure why.
But oh my gosh! chicken AI? now THAT I'd like to see!

Ask and you shall receive:

WOW! Not sure what to say... Thanks???
I work for an equine vet so am very familiar w/AI in horses, but this was interesting. I thik I'll stick to letting Mother Nature do her thing.
hide.gif

I have two bantam birchen cochin hens free ranging with several large cochins, the males are 10lbs or more, and one of these bantam hens hid a nest from me, laid 14 eggs and hatched 14 chicks all by natural breeding. This can be done, where there is a will there is a way, although it is more difficult for the bantam male to breed the large females.

Bo

Quote:
Hi Bo!
What size did thes bantam x LF cochins end up? I've been curious which would predominate.
dak (Clare)

Quote:
Where are you located?

Ohio

If you're willing to come up to Michigan, I have 2 partridge pullets for sale. 1 is approx. 12 weeks old, the other about 10 weeks. PM me for details and pics

ETA: NOT hatchery stock!!! From a private breeder who prides herself in producing typy birds.

Last edited:
Hello,
I am looking for bantam eggs for the incubator- looking for them to be shipped in the next couple days (I am having some eggs shipped from Maine to Oregon tomorrow). I would like blue or partridge show quality. Anyone know where I can get some? Craigslist in my area very rarely has cochins and I never see bantams. UGH!

Any help would be great! Thanks!
Melissa

definately interested in that auction! How does the bidding work? it says max bid- is it like ebay, where I put in my max bid and it just bids for me until it reaches my max bid? Your birds are so pretty!

Back
Top Bottom