Cochin Thread!!!

Here they are!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the advice guys. I am really glad that you will be in Sedalia Craig. Will you possibly have any columbians for sale at that time?

Welcome to Missouri Carol! How are you liking this lovely weather? What do I search for on FB? Chicken swap of Mo? I will try to find it, but if I can't I will PM you.

I don't know if I am bringing any birds for sale yet. If I do they will be $40 per bird. Do you know Pam Hamilton? She had some good Columbians at one time and she is there in Missouri. A nice person who know exhibition poultry. If you want show quality then I am bringing none for sale.I only have a few of those. I have some that I am trying to decide whether to keep for breeders or let go.

I was told that you can breed splashes as long as you add in dark blue ever few generations. Was I told wrong? Most all of these are a really nice light blue shade with dark blue spots not all washed out so I thought I could get by just fine for a couple generations before having to add the dark back in
hu.gif

I was told that you can breed splashes as long as you add in dark blue ever few generations. Was I told wrong? Most all of these are a really nice light blue shade with dark blue spots not all washed out so I thought I could get by just fine for a couple generations before having to add the dark back in
hu.gif

I can't say for sure, I do know that when I bred a splash to splash; it was very washed out. I agree with Lilcrow ~

There was a little group of us at Crossroads or maybe the National that had a discussion about proper Splash color. We ended up going to the judge and found out that the proper color is pretty much what you have - light blue with dark blue splotching. If you breed your splash birds to each other you will get an almost white bird with light blue splotching. These birds would not do well at the shows, however you could use them to breed to black and would get mostly the appropriate color. You might want to breed what you have to a nice dark blue bird, but they are harder to find than the black. That is why I first suggested using a Black, it is easier to find a really good Black than a really good Blue.
I think it's interesting that you got a group of Splash that are relatively uniform in color. Generally, Splash is a by product of breeding for Blue, and Blue is hard to control as far as the depth of the shade. The desired color in Blue is a Navy Blue bird, but you see A LOT of light blue birds. I have two of my own and one of them was RB at the National.

hu.gif

There was a little group of us at Crossroads or maybe the National that had a discussion about proper Splash color. We ended up going to the judge and found out that the proper color is pretty much what you have - light blue with dark blue splotching. If you breed your splash birds to each other you will get an almost white bird with light blue splotching. These birds would not do well at the shows, however you could use them to breed to black and would get mostly the appropriate color. You might want to breed what you have to a nice dark blue bird, but they are harder to find than the black. That is why I first suggested using a Black, it is easier to find a really good Black than a really good Blue.
I think it's interesting that you got a group of Splash that are relatively uniform in color. Generally, Splash is a by product of breeding for Blue, and Blue is hard to control as far as the depth of the shade. The desired color in Blue is a Navy Blue bird, but you see A LOT of light blue birds. I have two of my own and one of them was RB at the National.
It was Crossroads. I remember us asking the judge of the Cochins so we could understand the placing of birds. Some birds of good type but of lighter color did not place. The birds pictured above have the type pf color the judge was looking for. Nice birds.
Craig

Last edited:
I don't know if I am bringing any birds for sale yet. If I do they will be $40 per bird. Do you know Pam Hamilton? She had some good Columbians at one time and she is there in Missouri. A nice person who know exhibition poultry. If you want show quality then I am bringing none for sale.I only have a few of those. I have some that I am trying to decide whether to keep for breeders or let go.

I know Pam very well actually. I got my columbian boy from her and my black bantam cochins. She has gotten rid of all of her columbians as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom