Cochin Thread!!!

Mr. Ree: Wow, I thought I had a few girls. My girls from last year had larger combs than the white one and I thought they were boys, but then they started laying eggs. So I thought the red you said mixed with partridge had a deeper red so thought he was boy and rest were girls. Darn it, I was hoping for more girls. Guess I'll need more eggs. LOL

You say the bottom frizzle is cockeral so the top frizzle pullet? They are 2 different frizzles.

Last edited:
I didnt see but one frizzle? The first two are for sure cockerels, the coloring of them give it away, even if the combs dont. Something that may help you when trying to sex birds your unsure about, forget about the combs and look at other aspects. In Cochins (just in my experience), males usually feather out slower than the females, and the females also get their cushion in before the males. The males usually will have wings with a bit lower wing carriage than the females, and they males will also have a slightly thicker leg. Looking at the feathers will also help you, some birds look really different of the same variety, depending on sex. Partridge, Silver Laced, Golden Laced, Birchen, Brown Red, Barred, and Silver Penciled, IMO, are of the easiest varieties to feather sex, as when they start getting fully feathered, the pullets and cockerels will be a different coloring. But as far as Blue, Black, White, Buff, Mottled, etc its a little harder to tell just by color, so pay attenton to the shape of the feathers, rather than the color. Hope this helps. :)

~Casey

OK, Hopefully I get the hang of this. I don't want too many roosters, but would like to get hens to go with some roos for certain colors I want and pen separate. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom