Cochin Thread!!!

(I'm brand new, both to BYC and to chicken ownership, so please forgive me and point me in the right direction if I'm not posting this question in the right place.) It may be too early to tell, I don't know, but can anyone hazard a guess as to the color of my Cochin chicks? The possible parents are black, blue, and silver laced. Thanks!

Quote: I would say free bags is a good thing. allow some free ranging time so they can dig for bugs n stuff maybe, and feed whatever scraps happen by. I know my birds seem to really enjoy picking chicken carcasses (baked, picked by people first). not the neatest of past times, but interesting to watch at the least. besides, if you're going to show, you'll be bathing them before you go, let them get dirty now and then, and let them BE chickens. 8)

(I'm brand new, both to BYC and to chicken ownership, so please forgive me and point me in the right direction if I'm not posting this question in the right place.) It may be too early to tell, I don't know, but can anyone hazard a guess as to the color of my Cochin chicks? The possible parents are black, blue, and silver laced. Thanks!

I would say 1,(possibly 3, I can't tell the color that well in the picture),4 and 5 are Blue Cochins, going out on a limb and saying I think #2 would be a black. I'm pretty new to this too so don't take my word for it, I just have 5 week old Blue and Silver laced Cochins, my blues looked like the ones i'm guessing are blue in your flock and my silver laced didn't look like your #2 bird, so i'm going to say Black Cochin :)

I would say 1,(possibly 3, I can't tell the color that well in the picture),4 and 5 are Blue Cochins, going out on a limb and saying I think #2 would be a black. I'm pretty new to this too so don't take my word for it, I just have 5 week old Blue and Silver laced Cochins, my blues looked like the ones i'm guessing are blue in your flock and my silver laced didn't look like your #2 bird, so i'm going to say Black Cochin :)

I also see what might be a splash it there too

I'm looking for a standard cochin breeder in Michigan. And can anyone tell me the difference between splash and paint? I love the photos.

I'm looking for a standard cochin breeder in Michigan. And can anyone tell me the difference between splash and paint? I love the photos.

I don't know what a paint is. It is not a recognized pattern/color/variety for Cochins of that I am 100% positive. Splash is the result of breeding Blues, Blues and Splash, or Slash. The president of Cochin International lives in Michigan and raises LF Cochins in Blue, Black and Barred. Contact information can be found http://www.cochinsint.com/officers--directors.html

Abby, 6 or 7 weeks

Hello, fellow Cochin lovers!

We are still really new to the world of chickens, and I was wondering if you could lend your expertise on one of our newest flock members. This chick was purchased from the bantam bin, but I think he/she might be standard sized. What color would you consider it, and (most importantly) is this a rooster? I am SO hoping not, because this little thing is the sweetest in the bunch!!! And going forward, is there anything that will help me pick out the girls easier when I am looking in the bins at the feed store? I know combs and wattles are the best indicators, but at a week old that's not always possible!

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Abby, the day we broght her home. I'm guessing about a week here?

Can Cochins be feather sexed? I'm always getting mixed responses. I found a site where a woman said she is 100 percent with wing sexing at 10 days old with Cochins, but then research has told me they can not be wing sexed. Anyone out there have proof this is accurate or has any observations on the wings distinguishing the gender? Thanks again everyone.

Can Cochins be feather sexed? I'm always getting mixed responses. I found a site where a woman said she is 100 percent with wing sexing at 10 days old with Cochins, but then research has told me they can not be wing sexed. Anyone out there have proof this is accurate or has any observations on the wings distinguishing the gender? Thanks again everyone.
i have noticed that all my cockerels tend to feather in slower, noticeable at about 1-2 weeks. out of the 20 i hatched last year, all were noticeable at between 2-3 weeks. Not sure if this is always the case though. I did post pics and an explanation on page 1431 of this thread if you want to take a look there, or click this link here to go straight there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom