Cochin Thread!!!

We wanted to share a couple of pics of our grandson Braxton with his Cochin Pullet that he took to the Fat Stock Show last weekend.
smile.png

My pretty girl and her kids. They still try to sleep under her. The one in the front is bigger than she is now. He is a wyndotte ee mix. The other is a minorca wyandotte mix. She hasn't given me any eggs yet to hatch. She went broody early.

wow. that's a lot of eggs for 1 hen to cover!  whenever I've had a hen try to take on that many, I found that most never made it since they were not consistently incubated, sometimes on the cold outer edges sometimes right underneath...  last time, I 'eggtopsied' them, found most about a week or so into development then quit. some further along. of the 19 or 20 she had, only 2 hatched.

That is a lot for one hen. I assumed they were using more than one hen since they said hens not hen

oh. I missed that. LOL  been a looong day and the coffee wore off around lunchtime. LOL

Lol THREE hens....:fl

I have a question that has been asked before but am asking again cause I don't remember the responses I also have another as well First question...what shampoo is safe to use when bathing a chicken and is it safe to use a mild flea and tick shampoo Question 2..this has been on my mind for quite awhile now and thought I would take care of it now After the blood test at the show where do you go to check in and find out where in the building to put your birds

I have a question that has been asked before but am asking again cause I don't remember the responses I also have another as well First question...what shampoo is safe to use when bathing a chicken and is it safe to use a mild flea and tick shampoo Question 2..this has been on my mind for quite awhile now and thought I would take care of it now After the blood test at the show where do you go to check in and find out where in the building to put your birds

when I got to the show in Knoxville I just asked someone what the procedure was, she pointed me to the check in table, they give you your exhibitor # and then you put the birds in the appropriate cages marked with your #. cage tags were labeled with breed, variety and sex (hen, pullet, etc) usually the show hall is organized by group, breed, variety and sex. depending how large the show is, it took some hunting to find some of my breeds last month.

I kinda thought thats the way it is Pretty much the same as dog shows My wife and I showed for over 20 years and am very familiar with that procedure and I thought this would be about the same Well now that this is solved now I can ponder over the next problem
tongue.png
Thanx so much

I have a pair of Calico Cochins and only one lays....any ideas? The one that lays has been laying for several months...

I have a pair of Calico Cochins and only one lays....any ideas?  The one that lays has been laying for several months...

How old are they? I have a few 9-10 month olds that haven't started. I'm thinking it's because they're Cochins and it's the middle of winter. I just added a light a few weeks ago as to maybe help them start....I want eggs from them for hatching come spring:)

Back
Top Bottom