Cochin Thread!!!

And just for fun, here is Mr Beasley, my partridge roo.

Okay, this partridge chick is really confusing me... Is it a really slow feathering pullet or a roo? He/she will be six weeks on Saturday. Also, i just noticed when i picked it up to take the picture that its booty was warm and swollen and when i went to feel there seems to be some type of hard mass that feels exactly like a tiny egg. I can push it around, so its not attached to anything inside. What the heck could this be?

The vent is not clogged and its pooping just fine, its just red and swollen looking.

You can see how swollen it is here.

Okay, this partridge chick is really confusing me... Is it a really slow feathering pullet or a roo? He/she will be six weeks on Saturday. Also, i just noticed when i picked it up to take the picture that its booty was warm and swollen and when i went to feel there seems to be some type of hard mass that feels exactly like a tiny egg. I can push it around, so its not attached to anything inside. What the heck could this be?

The vent is not clogged and its pooping just fine, its just red and swollen looking.

You can see how swollen it is here.
Curious symptoms. I'm sure there are all kinds of weird things that it could be that are unknown or unheard of. If the chick isn't sick, I'd just let it go and see if it resolves on its own. You might try very gently massaging the mass and see if over time it softens. If it shows signs of pain or distress, I'd put it down.

Hi everyone - I posted this on the large fowl cochin thread because my husband and I are interested in a bigger cochin, but that thread is not as active, so I thought would try here. My husband and I are new to chickens, and we are thinking about including a cochin in a flock. My question is - when I read that cochins are broody, how broody are we talking? (We can only have 6 chickens in our town, so we will not be breeding. We don't want to be unfair to a chicken who wants to be a mom.)

Their very broody.
But...
Its just a fever so if ya don't want her to be broody, just pull her away from the nest for a few days (pen her) and she will snap out of it. Or do what I do, let them sit on empty nests. They snap out of it themselves after awhile. Its not cruel, it just part of owning any chicken. :)
Also welcome to the thread!

Ok, I am a tad confused, I bought my cochin at a local feed store 2 weeks ago and was told it was 4 weeks at the time and was a bantam. I also bought a 2 week old golden laced wyandotte. My question is, is it a large fowl or bantam. Here is a picture from today. Cochin is 6 weeks wyandotte is 4 weeks. (I also posted pics in this thread the day I got them)

Back
Top Bottom