Cochin Thread!!!

I am trying to figure out the gender of my gold laced cochins. They are about 7 weeks old. There are 2. One with less gold and one with more gold lacing.

These are my first cochins. They are Silver Laced. Not sure if that is an accepted variety, but they sure are cute, very friendly, bright and curious. I have a question. I have a broody that I would like to use for these chicks. The chicks are 3 days old. How old can a chick be and still be accepted by a mother hen? We are having some unusually cold weather for June and I would like to wait till the temps are normal before sneaking the chicks under the broody. This will be the broody's first clutch, so I might put them in one at a time. Any experience in the Cochin group with broodys raising chicks? Any advice would be appreciated.
I have had good luck with some broody hens. Others not so much. I have never tried to transplant a chick older than 2 days. Silver Laced is a recognized variety in both LF and Bantam. Put them all under her at once and watch being prepared to remove them all. If the hen will accept the chicks you do not need to worry about the weather. The chicks will go back under her for warmth when needed. I see hen raised chicks run back to warm up then venture out in some pretty cool temps.

These are my first cochins. They are Silver Laced. Not sure if that is an accepted variety, but they sure are cute, very friendly, bright and curious. I have a question. I have a broody that I would like to use for these chicks. The chicks are 3 days old. How old can a chick be and still be accepted by a mother hen? We are having some unusually cold weather for June and I would like to wait till the temps are normal before sneaking the chicks under the broody. This will be the broody's first clutch, so I might put them in one at a time. Any experience in the Cochin group with broodys raising chicks? Any advice would be appreciated.
I have had good luck with some broody hens. Others not so much. I have never tried to transplant a chick older than 2 days. Silver Laced is a recognized variety in both LF and Bantam. Put them all under her at once and watch being prepared to remove them all. If the hen will accept the chicks you do not need to worry about the weather. The chicks will go back under her for warmth when needed. I see hen raised chicks run back to warm up then venture out in some pretty cool temps.
I have grafted almost 4 day olds onto a hen. I put the chick under my hand so she can't see the chick and stick it under her...make sure it isn't sticking out at all....once the baby pops back out she thinks it's supposed to be there...but make sure your hand covers the baby so she can't see it going under there. I grafted 6 PR chicks onto a Cochin mommy and she also hatched her own six eggs ...she not only sat for 5 extra days to hatch them( they hatched slow cause of cold weather) but then took six extra babies...I wouldn't take a hundred dollar bill for my Cochins girls. And the Roos are calmer...just love them. Super easy mommies and will adopt anything I have several stories like this...

I once got chicks from a feed store who were almost 2 weeks old and I gave them to one of my broody hens, and she accepted them.

I have two silver penciled Cochins and I'm at odds over their sex! They are 13 weeks old. Their behavior is questionably male. Their looks are questionably female. Any of you master Cochin keepers have thoughts? I already have 2 Silkie Roos, so any new Roos would need to be rehomed.

Last edited:
I believe one is a roo and one is a pullet. I think second one is a cockerel, its comb is to large and red. The 1st one has a slightly smaller more pink comb, so
I'm still questioning it. If your lucky its a pullet. In the 2nd picture one is standing more upright than the other, which is typical for a rooster.

Last edited:
I believe one is a roo and one is a pullet. I think second one is a cockerel, its comb is to large and red. The 1st one has a slightly smaller more pink comb, so
I'm still questioning it. If your lucky its a pullet. In the 2nd picture one is standing more upright than the other, which is typical for a rooster.
@CrazyChickLady7 Generally, I would suspect that any young pullet with such redness in their comb and wattles would actually be a cockerel--as you stated. Any pullet that stands tall and has dominating behavior, I too, would suspect being a cockerel--as you stated. Now here's the confusing part... The one standing tall has the lighter comb of the two
1f615.png
--I call "him" Boots because he's always been a bit suspect to me, based on behavior and chest bumping mostly. But Lula, who has the bright red wattles and comb, appears so pullet like in her behavior and stature. I'm truly at a loss with these two. They defy every characteristic I've learned through the breeding/hatching process. Any second thoughts now that you have that tidbit?

@CrazyChickLady7 Generally, I would suspect that any young pullet with such redness in their comb and wattles would actually be a cockerel--as you stated. Any pullet that stands tall and has dominating behavior, I too, would suspect being a cockerel--as you stated. Now here's the confusing part... The one standing tall has the lighter comb of the two
1f615.png
--I call "him" Boots because he's always been a bit suspect to me, based on behavior and chest bumping mostly. But Lula, who has the bright red wattles and comb, appears so pullet like in her behavior and stature. I'm truly at a loss with these two. They defy every characteristic I've learned through the breeding/hatching process. Any second thoughts now that you have that tidbit?
According to coloring shouldn't they both be pulleys? Silver pencilled roosters have very different colorings than the females

Back
Top Bottom