Cochin Thread!!!

8wks
1f618.png
1f413.png

Does anyone have a close up pic of a cockerels head and neck? I am trying to determine if my white chick is male or female. Has the attitude of a watchful roo , very quiet though.

Needing help with this pullet, almost three months old....is this a Cochin? Purchased from a hatchery as a dark Brahma, but she has way too many leg/foot feathering to be Brahma...also has solid black feathers, so definitely not a dark Brahma....

From the Brahma thread (can't get it to copy/paste).....details are in the second link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/734972/backyard-brahmas/4150#post_15513726
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/734972/backyard-brahmas/4150#post_15514642

I bought her from a local reputable hatchery as a "day old" dark brahma. Now that they are older, she doesn't look like a Brahma....is she a Cochin?

ETA: baby pic
There are a couple of things that will guide you in determining the breed. First off, there are no publicly available black Brahmas and second Brahmas have a rose comb, and Cochins have a single comb. I would say you have a hatchery quality, large fowl, Black Cochin pullet. Just FYI, most hatcheries have a different agenda than the small poultry breeder. Hatcheries want birds that will lay a lot, breed naturally, hatch well, and remain healthy for the most part. They pay very little attention to the type or color/patter of the birds they are breeding. If you want chickens that meet the standard of perfection (SOP) you want to buy from a reputable breeder.

Black pullet and white I am not sure of. is growing a row of feathers like a Mohawk, it's not acting as it feels well and I have been watching it. have lost two a year ago to crop and internal egg break.

There are a couple of things that will guide you in determining the breed. First off, there are no publicly available black Brahmas and second Brahmas have a rose comb, and Cochins have a single comb. I would say you have a hatchery quality, large fowl, Black Cochin pullet. Just FYI, most hatcheries have a different agenda than the small poultry breeder. Hatcheries want birds that will lay a lot, breed naturally, hatch well, and remain healthy for the most part. They pay very little attention to the type or color/patter of the birds they are breeding. If you want chickens that meet the standard of perfection (SOP) you want to buy from a reputable breeder.

Thanks so much for your response! I realized something wasn't quite right with this girl several weeks ago. With each passing week, the differences in appearances between her and the Buff Brahmas were becoming more and more apparent.

We just have backyard hobby chickens. I bought several girls last year from a reputable large-scale breeder who is on BYC and happens to be within driving distance. Of course they were all at POL and expensive. Some I am happy with, some I am not. So this year, I bought eBay eggs (in December....hard to find time of year) and had to cull half for deformities. Then I set another large batch of eggs, half from a different ebayer and half from another local reputable source. And wouldn't you know it, a 10-year-weather-event hit ON HATCH DAY! Our power was out for six days. I had five chicks that hatched early and miraculously survived. So, after all of that, I figured the easiest way to replenish our flock with 1) only pullets, 2) multiple breeds, and 3) without spending a fortune, was to buy buy from a local hatchery. We bought our original girls from them several years ago and were very happy. He is a commercial broiler (medium scale) farmer who started a March-May backyard breeds chick business for his daughters 4H project several years ago. They usually have about 15-20 different breeds (including sex-links), and take them to a local mom-pop feed store on Saturdays only. He has a great reputation in the mid-state area for having nice, healthy (but hatchery) quality birds. He also stands by his sexing--he is extremely good at day-old chick sexing and will rehome and replace when he makes a mistake. I just don't understand how this Cochin got mixed in....he typically DOES NOT have any "ornamental" breeds and keeps his last hatch to grow out for breeders the following year.

I don't know anything about Cochins. I haven't decided whether or not I'll be keeping her....I'm culling hard this fall.

My wife saw this fuzzy little yellow and blue chick in Atwood about 3 months ago. I was going to give the little guy time to mature some before finding out the breed. Best I can tell it's a cochin but not sure if it's a self blue or a lighter color standard "blue" cochin. He seems to be to lightly colored to be a "bule" cochin but to dark around the head area to be a self blue cochin. Like I said we go him at Atwoods in Waco Tx. And I'm sure they get all there chick's from ideal. Any help identifying him would be appreciated.

Toes are slate on top and yellow padding

Back
Top Bottom