Cochin Thread!!!

Chickie'sMoma :

i bought my first set of eggs from her. bantam polish and only had one hatch-my Chickie who i helped out of the shell. he's not sw quality and i had someone mention to me that he might be crossed with something else. but he is a very sweet roo and loves being around me (can't stand to be near any other birds though)! i wouldn't buy from her again though. i just noticed that a few of her pics aren't even her's! they were taken from the Feather Site page!

Yeah, i TOTALLY DO NOT GET THAT! Why would you put up photos that aren't even of your own birds??? So Ridiculous.

I wish he got me a gift cert to johnnyseeds.com instead like i asked for.. the eggs were really thoughtful... but now I have a batch of potentially inbred, porcupine feathered, possible green egging, mutt cochins!!!
barnie.gif

I was TRYING to only get eggs/chicks from reputable breeders.... Now to figure out what to do... because the chicks are just so darned cute...
love.gif

Hi all. I have been thinking about a few things recently in respect to heritage breeds and the definition of them. I wrote up a new thread because I don't really post here too much and didn't want to throw off your conversations. But I would like the opinions of some of you if you're interested.

As a breeder of all Standard bred, large fowl, heritage breeds, this definition is near to me and affects me in what I love to do most. Please take some time to look at the thread. I'm guessing it effects most of you, too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=442234

Thanks!

Quote:
I'm a little confused about what sort of an opinion you're looking for. In your "Standard" or whatever you call it, you mention the issue of causing offense. I actually find your signature offensive to me when you make the reference to "mini chickens" as if there were something inherently wrong with Bantams. Bantams could be considered "heritage" if that was even a goal, it is not one for me. I am committed to breeding healthy, sound birds, however they are not market birds. I personally don't think that means there is something wrong with them. Bantam Cochins are, by nature, play birds. They are bred for the fun of it and their beauty. If you bothered to read enough of the forums and breed entries from Bantam folks, you'd know that most breeders do their best to find pet homes for their less than perfect specimens.
I have no problem with your goal, in principal. I believe I understand your reasoning and I support your cause, however I don't think it's necessary to be insulting to breeders of show or just plain "pretty" birds. If I've misunderstood you, please excuse me, I'm sorry if I was insulting.
BTW my birds are slow to moderate maturing birds. They are not the best layers in the world giving an egg a day or every other day if not feeling broody and they don't come into full maturity i.e., muscle and substance until they are about 18 mo. or older, however I don't make any kind of an issue out of them being heritage. I've heard some folks refer to their d'Uccle as being heritage birds, but according to this standard, that is not possible since they are Bantams.

Quote:
I'm a little confused about what sort of an opinion you're looking for. In your "Standard" or whatever you call it, you mention the issue of causing offense. I actually find your signature offensive to me when you make the reference to "mini chickens" as if there were something inherently wrong with Bantams. Bantams could be considered "heritage" if that was even a goal, it is not one for me. I am committed to breeding healthy, sound birds, however they are not market birds. I personally don't think that means there is something wrong with them. Bantam Cochins are, by nature, play birds. They are bred for the fun of it and their beauty. If you bothered to read enough of the forums and breed entries from Bantam folks, you'd know that most breeders do their best to find pet homes for their less than perfect specimens.
I have no problem with your goal, in principal. I believe I understand your reasoning and I support your cause, however I don't think it's necessary to be insulting to breeders of show or just plain "pretty" birds. If I've misunderstood you, please excuse me, I'm sorry if I was insulting.
BTW my birds are slow to moderate maturing birds. They are not the best layers in the world giving an egg a day or every other day if not feeling broody and they don't come into full maturity i.e., muscle and substance until they are about 18 mo. or older, however I don't make any kind of an issue out of them being heritage. I've heard some folks refer to their d'Uccle as being heritage birds, but according to this standard, that is not possible since they are Bantams.

Well said.

Quote:

well said. I don't really take much offense in anything people say because people are entitled to their opinions and you all know what they say about opinions
tongue.png
The only thing that really aggravates me is when people call a bird something that it is not and market them as this. The main thing I see this in is the mille fleur cochins, especially ones that are actually a mottled color. I have nothing against pretty colored birds and am actually working on some of my own but I'm not going to call them something that they are not

I think the important thing is to be respectful of everyone's choice. My breed of dairy goats was often ridiculed when I got them 20 years ago as they were frail and not competitive. (They've come a long way through the dedication of breeders and now are nearly as competitive as the other breeds.) My wife's breed, a miniature breed, was criticized for not being "real" dairy goats. Even in cattle, die-hard Holstein breeders often turn their nose up at Jersey's. Bottom line is that there is a reason there are lots of different breeds. It truly isn't a one-size fits all. For me, while I can admire the beauty of a bantam, even though I work with smaller goats, I like a chicken with some "oomph" too it, thus my choice for not only a large fowl breed but one of the larger breeds at that. We have to remember that more and more people don't have lots of land so a smaller animal may better fit their needs. Collectively, we're all better off working together and focusing on what is common and not different.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom