Cochin Thread!!!

The ivomec drench is water soluble i get mine from Foys pigeon supply. I just went to the web site it recommends 8cc to the gal i said 3cc that was wrong.
But like you said putting it on the bird works just fine just a lot less hassle to put in the water i have done it for years and it works great for me.

I am posting this to let you be aware that there are stolen black Cochins being put up for sale. These are young birds that belong to Beth Gaetano that are up for sale by Janetta Dobler. She has no right to sell these birds so please be aware of the issue. She may also be selling some Silkies, so be aware of anything that this woman offers to sell.
b

Well, all is good in the hood. The birds have been returned to their rightful owner. I don't know what the lady was thinking, but she has graciously returned all of the birds. Thank you Janetta, I'm sure it was just a huge misunderstanding and we can all move on from here.

My birds don't have mites... my property doesn't have mites... I live in South Dakota, I don't think it's normally much of a problem up here.

I bought some new chickens and they came to me with mites. I have them quarantined in the barn and have treated them with Frontline... Is this a hopeless situation? Will I always be battling mites now? My 18 month old daughter loves the chickens and spends almost as much time with them as I do.. I do NOT want mites on her. Will I be able to kill the mites on the new birds get rid of them completely and go back to being mite-free?

Fancy Feathers: I wouldn't worry. We lived 2 hours north of where we do now and never had this problem. I feel like the problem we have is tied to our new location and property. It's just a matter of us finding out what will work here and then getting a handle on it and doing the maintenance. Didn't mean to scare you. I just wanted people to know that the mites "can" bite us because many folks say they can't. I got this info straight from NC State U and personal experience. I know that I got bit because I was handling so many chickens with mites for such a long period of time.

Took some pictures today of the birds, thought I would share. I also got a couple pics of the Blue K I was talking about. One is really bad quality, it was taken with my cell, zoomed in as far as it would go, lol. But Hope you guys enjoy.

~Casey

Mr Ree: They are all so gorgeous!

Posey if you have that much trouble with mites in the coop the best thing i have used is liquid 7 put in a garden sprayer and spray the coop down walls every thing. you can also put it in a bucket and dip the birds in it. just try to keep it out of the eyes.
i have done this for years and years it works great and it will not hurt the birds at all. If you do get it in there eyes it will not have ill effects just might burn.
I use to put it in my pigeon bath water and they never acted like it fazed there eyes at all.
PS. mix it twice as strong as it calls for!

Thanks Dallas1, we will try this.

i have started treating with frontline for dogs for my birds to keep the mites in check. seems to be working well
fl.gif
the iveron was not keeping them under control so I had to do something else

Hi The Cochin Coop: so I am guessing that you are using the Frontline drop-on? How much are you using and how often?
This might be cost prohibitive for me with 30 some chickens. I usually just purchase the $50 Eprinex which is the same as Ivermectin but without the longer egg withdrawal. It lasts me for a whole year. I would still like to know how much you are using and how often though.
Thanks for sharing
P

Hi The Cochin Coop: so I am guessing that you are using the Frontline drop-on? How much are you using and how often?
This might be cost prohibitive for me with 30 some chickens. I usually just purchase the $50 Eprinex which is the same as Ivermectin but without the longer egg withdrawal. It lasts me for a whole year. I would still like to know how much you are using and how often though.
Thanks for sharing
P
I use .1 cc for chicks and .2 cc for adults. it's not too expensive and you can use the fiproguard or pet armor which is a lot cheaper

Can someone please help me sex these cochins. I am still new and not quit sure but am guessing so please tell me if I'm wrong. Some were born on 3/28 and some on 4/7-4/12. I don't know if the 4/7-4/12 are still too small to sex.

I think the silver laced pullet? and the red (not sure if it's a red or egg marked wrong) cockeral?

white pullet

Red pullet??

Then some of these were born on 4/7-4/12 may be too young yet.***Correction born on 5/7-5/12
Mille's

Mottled

Frizzles, these are from my buff and a black frizzle cochin.

I have more but won't list them all in case they are still too small. If anyone can tell I will add the rest of the little ones.

Last edited:
The only pullet I have seen so far is the White. The dark colored chicks still look a little young, but within a week you should be able to tell. The little frizzle in the last pic is for sure a cockerel. And in the first picture, that isnt a Red. It looks to be a Partridge cross of some kind.

~Casey

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom