Cochin Thread!!!

I've posted a pic of this little chick before asking on what her color is...which I am still unsure of, but I just snapped these today and would like to know if you all had opinions on gender.

She (I hope) is 9 1/2 weeks old.

i would think she... very pretty tho. still no clue on color. i was going to ask if her legs were as black as her beak, but i see a yellow toe peeking out. LOL

i would think she... very pretty tho. still no clue on color. i was going to ask if her legs were as black as her beak, but i see a yellow toe peeking out. LOL

Yes...her feet are the same shade of yellow as the comb. I think she is very girly too. No red at all on the comb, no signs of wattles.

Yes...her feet are the same shade of yellow as the comb. I think she is very girly too. No red at all on the comb, no signs of wattles.
i love the black on white... wish my white pullet would STAY white. instead she's currently various shades of cream, tan, brown and mud. reason #1 i hate white anythings...

including poodles. but i've got a white (aged ivory/mud colored) standard poodle... hate the color but he's a good boy (except when he's hunting 'squeaks' and digging holes up in the woods. BLACK topsiol...)

funny thing is, now when he's been chasing 'squeaks', i call him in he immediately hops in the bathtub... nah. he's a keeper.

Last edited:
I think he looks pure Cochin, doesn't he? Maybe he's got some other color in his background that is coming out in him? It'd be interesting to see what he looks like as an adult!
Hi All:
I have a mystery chick who was suppose to be a pullet, ya'll know how that goes. I could clearly tell that he was a roo at 3 weeks. He is now a few days short of 8 weeks old. The place where I purchased him from only has two breeds that he could be from: giant cochin or marans. I have giant cochins and he looks like one to me but they only sell the partridge or pure white plumage varieties. He doesn't have the head coloring etc for a partridge but I don't have personal experience with this color. However his legs and feet are very well covered like a cochin. He is still growing in his back feathers as you can see. When I look at his individual feathers many of them have that "partridge" look to them. With his head dark like this is he more like a black copper marans? I don't have that breed and don't know it well at all.

He is a mystery to me so what do you all think? What is he?

Thanks for your help,
Posey

I've posted a pic of this little chick before asking on what her color is...which I am still unsure of, but I just snapped these today and would like to know if you all had opinions on gender.

She (I hope) is 9 1/2 weeks old.

It is a pullet. She is a Cochin. I think that it is a poorly patterned Columbian sport. Columbian/Buff Columbian have been used on many project birds and birds like this crop up from time to time. Enjoy her.
Craig

Last edited:
4hChickMama - Pullet and maybe columbian colored.

Posey, I think your boy is pet/hatchery quality or a mix. My boy's legs were totally feathered, no leg showing at all by that age. His feathering reminds me of a Brahma's.

WOO HOO ! ! !
celebrate.gif

my first self blue baby!!!

and i don't care if it's a him or her, if it turns out halfway like the parents it's staying!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom