Cochin Thread!!!

head count so far today...

2 self blue
1 black (from self blue pen)
2 mille/partridge.

also hatched are 2 quail and 3 ee/dorking mix

still 1 more black/self blue and 3 mille/partridge to go, plus 1 ee and a turkey.

hatch dates ranged from the 19th to the 21st but most went today so far.

I took pics of my youngest group growing out today.

There is a calico cockerel behind the 2nd black.

See? A calico Cockerel!

The featherless black is from Amy. The buff is from my buff columbian x mottled cockerel that is all BC except for the mottling on his feet and my 'buff columbian' hen. She is more like a black tailed buff. Either way, the buff pullet has white feather tips and that surprised the heck out of me. The newly hatched 'BC' chick in my brooder is the same hatch color as she was and from the same parents. The calico I think is from Amy, too. The other black (with red leakage) is from my trio. So far, it looks like the calico is my only boy.

I had to add this one, too.

The older pullet (I am assuming since there is nothing telling me otherwise) was in another brooder tub. She kept jumping out. The last night she jumped out she was trying to jump into this brooder tub so I put her in it and made my husband babysit since his computer is right beside it. She has been mothering them! Even with a heat lamp and panting her butt off all day, she hasn't tried leaving the brooder at all. She is from Cadeau and for a lack of a better description, her babies are my miracle babies - BW/W Am, black bantam Cochin and the full sibling to the 'BC' pullet in the above pics.

I'm doing lousy, lousy, lousy so far this year:

5/15 - set 14 eggs; 4 fertile; 3 to hatcher; 1 hatched; "Little One" died on day 7
5/20 - set 11 eggs; none fertile
5/25 - set 9 eggs; dropped one candling; other 8 not fertile
5/30 - set 6 eggs; none fertile
6/05 - set 5 eggs; none fertile
6/10 - set 5 eggs; 2 are fertile!!
6/15 - set 6 eggs; 2 are fertile!!
6/20 - set 4 eggs

I have 7 hens, but I'm only breeding 5 of them. It's going to be a long, hot summer . . . So I'm just going to sit back and enjoy everyone else's until things pick up here.
fl.gif

Hello! Well I been having lots of problems with Cochins (pekins for me). I only have one boy and one girl ranging in a large space, I have done no trimming. Out of all the broody clutches of 12 eggs in total only four were infertile, all the rest were fully developed but only one hatched. However the two broodies were run in dry conditions, could humidity at the end of the hatch be the problem?

But, I attempted with another broody again only run on grass and she hatched four chicks out of four eyes. what is the colour of the to chicks who look identical with more yellow down and the individual who's black with little white down. Could be either cuckoo, split black to lavender or pure black?

Hello! Well I been having lots of problems with Cochins (pekins for me). I only have one boy and one girl ranging in a large space, I have done no trimming. Out of all the broody clutches of 12 eggs in total only four were infertile, all the rest were fully developed but only one hatched. However the two broodies were run in dry conditions, could humidity at the end of the hatch be the problem?

But, I attempted with another broody again only run on grass and she hatched four chicks out of four eyes. what is the colour of the to chicks who look identical with more yellow down and the individual who's black with little white down. Could be either cuckoo, split black to lavender or pure black?

cute chicks. sorry to hear about hatch problems, but yes, dry conditions have a lot to do with poor hatches IMO. but then i incubate everything and then give the new chicks to the broody of my choice, if i trust her. LOL

as for the chicks, barred would have a white spot on the head, so no i don't think any are. as for the black/self blue (lavender) there is no way to tell if a black is carrying self blue, unless one parent was s.b., or produces s.b. when bred to another that carries or is s.b...

as for the lighter chicks, i had several like the bottom one in the bottom pic, they were silver laced. but unless you have silver laced in your mix i honestly wouldn't know what it is.

Does anyone need any young lg cochin roos? I have 1 partridge, 1 golden laced, 1 solid black. I'm willing to give away, if añone is interested.

Thanks,
Emilie

I'm doing lousy, lousy, lousy so far this year:

5/15 - set 14 eggs; 4 fertile; 3 to hatcher; 1 hatched; "Little One" died on day 7
5/20 - set 11 eggs; none fertile
5/25 - set 9 eggs; dropped one candling; other 8 not fertile
5/30 - set 6 eggs; none fertile
6/05 - set 5 eggs; none fertile
6/10 - set 5 eggs; 2 are fertile!!
6/15 - set 6 eggs; 2 are fertile!!
6/20 - set 4 eggs

I have 7 hens, but I'm only breeding 5 of them.  It's going to be a long, hot summer . . .   So I'm just going to sit back and enjoy everyone else's until things pick up here.  :fl

"Hope springs eternal"

[/QUOTE]

sounds like it's time to get out the hedge trimmers. or a new roo.
wink.png

good luck on your eggs... my black/sb pen has slight fertility problems, but i think only with 1 hen, since most of the sb's eggs are fertile, and a little less than half of the black split's. before 1 went broody that is. now the roo doesn't play favorites.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom