Cochin Thread!!!

Looks like we will have another hot summer here again in OK. I am DREADING it, lost 7 birds last year. Time to put out frozen milk jugs.

I lost my favorite Blue cockerel to heat 2 summers ago. He's the only bird I've ever lost to heat, but I'm so paranoid about it happening again!
sad.png
It's been hot here in WI so far too (well, it's WI, so it's 105 degrees one day, and 43 degrees the next...
roll.png
). Good luck keeping yours cool!

I'm doing lousy, lousy, lousy so far this year:

5/15 - set 14 eggs; 4 fertile; 3 to hatcher; 1 hatched; "Little One" died on day 7
5/20 - set 11 eggs; none fertile
5/25 - set 9 eggs; dropped one candling; other 8 not fertile
5/30 - set 6 eggs; none fertile
6/05 - set 5 eggs; none fertile
6/10 - set 5 eggs; 2 are fertile!!
6/15 - set 6 eggs; 2 are fertile!!
6/20 - set 4 eggs

I have 7 hens, but I'm only breeding 5 of them. It's going to be a long, hot summer . . . So I'm just going to sit back and enjoy everyone else's until things pick up here.
fl.gif
Sorry to hear about the poor fertility Gail. Maybe you should switch to LF.
wink.png
I have hatched about 300 chicks from my GLC split x split pen. Talk about a mish mash of pattern. There are a few promising individuals feathering in though. The last ones are due to hatch tomorrow. I sold the parents just to stop myself from setting eggs.
roll.png

frow.gif
Hi Clare!! How are your LF holding up in the heat? We hit 104 today - it's probably a good thing I don't have any LF. I think even the bantams are going to enjoy the nice cool breeze on their butts when I get thru with them!!

(PS - Bo's looking for you over on SBB!)

frow.gif
Hi Clare!! How are your LF holding up in the heat? We hit 104 today - it's probably a good thing I don't have any LF. I think even the bantams are going to enjoy the nice cool breeze on their butts when I get thru with them!!

(PS - Bo's looking for you over on SBB!)
We were 101 yesterday. I haven't lost a LF to heat yet. (knock on wood). They are in covered runs during the day and go into the coop at night, though I left the individual doors open last night. Some of the girls won't leave their their imaginary eggs to go outside, but seem to be managing.

Thanks for the heads up on Bo. I was just on SBB, but I'll go check again.

We have started a Cochin Education page on the Cochins International website. It's just been started, so be sure and check back in frequently as we add more and more articles! We hope you are finding the CI website a beneficial source for all your Cochin needs! We always welcome your suggestions, comments and contributions - just contact your friendly Webmistress!!

http://www.cochinsint.com/education.html

We have started a Cochin Education page on the Cochins International website. It's just been started, so be sure and check back in frequently as we add more and more articles! We hope you are finding the CI website a beneficial source for all your Cochin needs! We always welcome your suggestions, comments and contributions - just contact your friendly Webmistress!!

http://www.cochinsint.com/education.html

Coopa Great info! Thank You!

Back
Top Bottom