cochin?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hensplease, Dec 27, 2009.

1. hensplease

hensplease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    do they go broody often and are they good mothers?

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I have no personal experience, but word on the street is yes to both questions.

3. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Cochins come to the top of the list with silkies and a few other breeds that are the broodiest and they are very good mothers!

4. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    cochins are great mothers and go broody often! I have not personally tried this, but I've heard they will hatch any kind of egg, doesn't have to be a chicken! I have had one go broody and put some of my parents chicken eggs under her along with her own eggs and she hatched and took care of them!

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My Cochins, standard and bantam, are superior setters and mamas. My Silkies can not even come close to being as good of broodies or mama hens. I can get 12 eggs under my standards without a problem and they will hatch and raise all the chicks without any fuss. The banties can easily set on 7 eggs and raise them very nicely.
    My Silkies aren't smart enough to cover all the eggs or turn them well. Once they hatch the chicks they aren't quite sure what they should do and are often too rough on the poor chicks and have left them out crying in the rain too many times. I have many different bloodlines on my Silkies but have not been very impressed with their raising chicks ability.
    I have several flocks of Cochins and they have never let me down.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by