Cochins 9 weeks...Pat or Patty? Lee or Leigh?

NellaBean

Graceland Farms
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Broodyland, TN
My Coop
My Coop
I have 6 cochins from the TSC Pullet bin. Now they are almost 6 weeks old.....and all their combs are turning red.

At what age did your cochin pullets (or roos, I guess) start getting red in their combs? I have Australorp, Buttercup and Leghorn pullets that are a week older with yellow combs....but the Australorp cockerel that is 7 weeks is VERY obvious.

I know, I know..pics! But it has been raining for a week straight with no end in sight, so they are locked up in their shed in the garage and it distorts the colors.

Anybody have any pics to show of their cochins pullets or cockerels?

Last edited:
Cochin take a long time to get a good comb. Hens also have a comb, just smaller. I have a hen that I mix up with my young roo! You can start telling when they are about a month old. But they are very slow growers.

I find the males go red at 4-6 weeks. My pullets are just now getting a little red at 9 weeks. Also the males will get red wattles by about 6 weeks too. Where as the females will not.

Ok here is my Cochin Frizzle. His became red pretty fast and just kept getting redder. On week 5 he began the cutest crowing and had to be rehomed -booooo hoooo! I loved him he was so darn sweet and had a very cool do!

Week2
23763_dscn3480.jpg

Week 3
23763_dscn0073.jpg

Week 4
23763_dscn0143.jpg

Okay here are a few pics (not so great, they are totally uncooperative). They are 6 weeks old.

Big blue
bluecochin.jpg

Little spotted one
barredcochin.jpg

One of the blacks
blackcochin.jpg

A couple together
allthecochins.jpg

Also, the two itty bitty spotted ones have been feathering out sooo much slower. And the one in the last pic on the left....has very small tail feathers. He reminds me of a football.

I know the pics aren't great, but what do you think? Cockerel or pullets?

The second picture of the spotted black could possibly be a roo. Only time will tell for sure. You never know. the chick is not screaming roo. I have a few cochins I still question every day at 9 weeks.

I swear the vary and come in when they want...both my pullets got their combs at different times...same age, same shipment everything.

Okay, we are at jus over 8 weeks old now. There is one black who appears to be a definite pullet. The others are all ??????

Here are the three "speckled" ones. The bottom one is the biggest and acts like a roo...

chickenladder.jpg

Another of him.
crazyblue3.jpg

Him again.
crazyblue1.jpg

Him.
crazyblue2.jpg

Him walking away.
crazyblue4.jpg

I call it a him only because I lean toward roo because of his behavior.

The other speckled ones are tiny and act immature....they feathered out really slowly and are half the size of the others.

Together.
speckledcochins.jpg

Speckle #1
littlespeckle1.jpg

Speckle #1 again.
littlespeckle2.jpg

Not sure if this is the same or the other one
speckledcochins2.jpg

And then of the three black ones....one looks like a girl (not pictured). One is very fluffy

fluffycochin1.jpg

Same one.
fluffycochin2.jpg

And here is the other iffy black one.
redblack.jpg

What do you think? Boys, girls? Still can't tell?

blue2.jpg

Here is my two blue Cochins at only a few days old. As you can see their genders are easy to tell. The roo is in the back the hen in the front. When a bunch of chicks are together of the same breed it is very easy to tell what gender. Usually.

Back
Top Bottom