Cochins 9 weeks...Pat or Patty? Lee or Leigh?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NellaBean, May 4, 2009.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have 6 cochins from the TSC Pullet bin. Now they are almost 6 weeks old.....and all their combs are turning red.

At what age did your cochin pullets (or roos, I guess) start getting red in their combs? I have Australorp, Buttercup and Leghorn pullets that are a week older with yellow combs....but the Australorp cockerel that is 7 weeks is VERY obvious.

I know, I know..pics! But it has been raining for a week straight with no end in sight, so they are locked up in their shed in the garage and it distorts the colors.

Anybody have any pics to show of their cochins pullets or cockerels?

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Cochin take a long time to get a good comb. Hens also have a comb, just smaller. I have a hen that I mix up with my young roo! You can start telling when they are about a month old. But they are very slow growers.

3. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    I find the males go red at 4-6 weeks. My pullets are just now getting a little red at 9 weeks. Also the males will get red wattles by about 6 weeks too. Where as the females will not.

4. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Ok here is my Cochin Frizzle. His became red pretty fast and just kept getting redder. On week 5 he began the cutest crowing and had to be rehomed -booooo hoooo! I loved him he was so darn sweet and had a very cool do!

Week2
    [​IMG]

Week 3
    [​IMG]

Week 4
    [​IMG]

5. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Okay here are a few pics (not so great, they are totally uncooperative). They are 6 weeks old.

Big blue
    [​IMG]

Little spotted one
    [​IMG]

One of the blacks
    [​IMG]

A couple together
    [​IMG]

Also, the two itty bitty spotted ones have been feathering out sooo much slower. And the one in the last pic on the left....has very small tail feathers. He reminds me of a football.

I know the pics aren't great, but what do you think? Cockerel or pullets?

6. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    The second picture of the spotted black could possibly be a roo. Only time will tell for sure. You never know. the chick is not screaming roo. I have a few cochins I still question every day at 9 weeks.

7. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I think they are both females. The coloring on the barred cochin would be much lighter for the males.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I swear the vary and come in when they want...both my pullets got their combs at different times...same age, same shipment everything.

9. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Okay, we are at jus over 8 weeks old now. There is one black who appears to be a definite pullet. The others are all ??????

Here are the three "speckled" ones. The bottom one is the biggest and acts like a roo...

[​IMG]

Another of him.
    [​IMG]

Him again.
    [​IMG]

Him.
    [​IMG]

Him walking away.
    [​IMG]

I call it a him only because I lean toward roo because of his behavior.

The other speckled ones are tiny and act immature....they feathered out really slowly and are half the size of the others.

Together.
    [​IMG]

Speckle #1
    [​IMG]

Speckle #1 again.
    [​IMG]

Not sure if this is the same or the other one
    [​IMG]

And then of the three black ones....one looks like a girl (not pictured). One is very fluffy

[​IMG]

Same one.
    [​IMG]

And here is the other iffy black one.
    [​IMG]

What do you think? Boys, girls? Still can't tell?

10. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG]

Here is my two blue Cochins at only a few days old. As you can see their genders are easy to tell. The roo is in the back the hen in the front. When a bunch of chicks are together of the same breed it is very easy to tell what gender. Usually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by