Cochins and Bantams

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
I saw some really pretty Jumbo blue Cochins and some pretty little black and white bantams today. Parents said I can get some chickens in March after we build our new enclosure.

What should I expect out of each breed? Whatever kinds of chickens I get will each have their own grassy area as well as their own dog houses. Which is better for eggs? Non flying? etc.

I love my cochins!!! Bantams and standard-I hatched all of mine so they have been trained to be nice. I can reach right under my girls and grab their eggs without a peep. I pet them alot though. haven't heard any bad things about that breed.

I've heard that cochins lay late. We're getting partridge cochins (large fowl) in the spring for use as setting hens and meat, not for laying. We'll probaly either get a dual purpose breed or keep up a small flock of red sex links for eggs. We currently only have a rooster and he doesn't lay. He's still a little skittish around us since we got him as a 3 yr old. That and when we first got him, the hens would peck at his foot feathers til he bled so we would have to go apply blu-kote on a regular basis. So he hides whenever he sees a person come into the run, although it's hilarious watching a 12 lb basketball shaped rooster run for cover.

He's also pretty lazy. On cold mornings, he won't get up to crow until about 9 am!
smile.png
Last week, when I got up to scatter some scratch for the chickens, the hens were up and pecking. "Here, chick, chick, chick." From inside the coop I heard a big whump! and Fred (the rooster) stuck his head out. I rattled the grain cup and he sighed and hooped out, clearly put out that I was making him get up at 7:30 am instead of his usual 9. Our 5yr old daughter can also go into the run without fear of him. He just ignores her. I much prefer that to the attack roosters that others seem to be. Not to say he's not protective of his hens. If I pick up a hen and she struggles or squawks, he'll strut over with some indignant clucking as if to say "Don't you be messin' with my woman!" He also did that every time a great blue heron landed in our pond.

At least get a few for entertainment if nothing else

What should I expect out of each breed? Whatever kinds of chickens I get will each have their own grassy area as well as their own dog houses. Which is better for eggs? Non flying? etc.

A bantam is not a breed. A bantam is a smaller size bird. There are many breeds that are bantam. There are many breeds that come in Standard (large) and bantam (small). You'll need to tell us what kind of bantam you are interested in and we can give you information.

Cochins come in standard and bantam. They are wonderful, not too good with eggs though. Most cant fly due to their size. But they are great looking and usually very friendly. I'm sure if you so a search on this forum, you will find many great threads of people telling you about their cochins.

Congrats on being able to get some chickens!!​

I love my Cochins.....except for these things. They do not begin laying until at least 9 months old. They are a fairly big bird, so coupled with late laying, and needing more food then other smaller breeds, they are a bit more spendy in the long run.

I live in your area. I would suggest RIR, EE, and Dominiques. The DM are good layers and tend to be broody. They are docile and do not generally tend to fly. If you get them as chicks you can train them to be pets. I would suggest starting with 8 (you will lose a couple probably. )Then add more when you get comfortable with how to manage the ones you have. I personally do not like bantams b/c of egg size. Some may lay large eggs but not all. The breeds above are also good free range chickens if that is what you want.

I love my cochins, they are so docile, and beautiful. They are very very friendlyand will eat treats right ourt of our hands.

I have big ones and banties. I love the feathers too.

hmm.png
am curious while on the subject of cochins .... does it matter if they are bantam or standard for when they start to lay? i.e., does one or the other layer earlier? Gosh, nine months
roll.png
that's a long time to wait. At any rate, mine sure is pretty thus far and very sweet

Sorry! WHen I looked at the birds it just said Bantam. The roos were white with different colored feathers mixed into it, im not familiar with the pattern. And the hens were solid black with a little white tuffs on their ears.

Im not sure what kind of bantam then, It really doesnt matter, I just like how small they are. Egg size really isnt an issue since I have 9 female ducks right now and am getting more in the spring.

I dont really care about the colors of the bantam breed i get , But I do want to get the blue cochins. They were just so BIG. I mean I would think they would be too heavy to fly out of the fencing.

Eta : I know that the "run" should be covered when I get these chickens. But I have never had a hawk problem and the enclosure is surronded by dense over hanging trees, so I doubt ill be able to get the ok to cover it with anything other than a tarp since the fence is only 4 feet off the ground. I will be clipping wings if need be, and they will be locked up in a hutch at night.

I have one black cochin hen named Mary Sue. She is my worry wart. She paces and coos and clucks like the sky is falling. But she is a gorgeous ball of feathers that are green and blue in the sun. I love her, although I don't think it's mutual.......Her best friend EVER is my silkie bantam, named Puff. they are always, always, always together and can often been heard "talking" to one another. Love them both. The silkie is laying, I don't think Mary Sue is yet......

Back
Top Bottom