Cochins...Good layers?

My hatchery cochins are wonderful layers, but then again they're from a hatchery.

My silkie, a hatchery bird also, is currently on an unknown amount of eggs. It's her first time, she's less than a year old, and I don't think she's left the nest for a week except for when I pulled her off. We've been feeding her and finally brought her water in her nest, because she is NEVER up. She's all flat like a pancake over them, it's so cute! So yes, I would call her a good brooder. =]

Oh my two are great layers...5 eggs per week from them...sometimes they miss a day here and there.

I have a splash and a red that are almost 10 months old.

This is Luna

Luna432709.jpg

This is Ruby...she is my talker. She yells loudly for you to pet her or pick her up...anytime she sees you. Luna is very quiet.

ruby2.jpg

I have raised silkies and cochins(both bantam and large). In general they all lay pretty good, about 3-5 eggs on a good week. Some hens lay better than others. In personal experience both cochins and silkies are great setters and do a great job of raiseing the chicks. Alot of the laying and setting ability comes from the bloodline the birds are from. I have noticed that show bird bloodlines have sometimes been breed selectively to get rid of broodiness. If you ask some of the breeders at shows, some of them will tell you that they try to breed out broodiness because it means more eggs and a longer time that the birds are in show condition. And that's true in other breeds not just cochins and silkies.

I have giant cochins from Sandhill. They lay very well if you can keep them from going broody. Right now They are broody so no eggs but Doodle my fav has one little chick running around so maybe she will start to lay again. Fertility is another matter. Unless you trim their behinds I think they are too pretty to do that so its a hit and miss as far as fertility goes. So far this year i have had only 5 chicks hatch from them But everyone is so beautiful they are worth it.

I will have two new baby blue cochins coming from Meyers Hatchery on the 27th of May...OMGosh, thats in 14 days!
ya.gif

What I was wondering is, what color of egg do they lay? Light brown, medium brown? Will I be able to tell their eggs from my other gilrs?

I have 1 BO, 2 RiR, 2 Black Aussies, 2 welsumers, 2 silver laced wyandottes, 7 EE's and 1 White Rock

It would be neat to know which chicken lays the lightest brown egg to the darkest brown. Anyone know??

I say they are decent layers. I have several LF and Bantam. My LF hens lay at least 5 days a week, my bantams lay daily.

Besides you get the wonderful loving personality and the fluff too.

Mine are GREAT layers! Plus they are excellent broodies! Fantastic moms. I have blue and buff cochins. When crossed with each other they produce a wild looking patchwork of what I call "Bluff" cochins. I know some would take offense to me doing that, but mine are free range and they pretty much do as they please.

Back
Top Bottom