Cochins so confused about their sex!?

serenityNH

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Raymond, NH
Hi All.

I have 2 splash Cochins that are 14 weeks old and can not tell if they are pullets or cockerels. I have 2 blue Cochins from the same hatch and it is so obvious which is a pullet and which is a cockerel but the splash are right in the middle and I am just not sure what they are?
I had thought they were pullets but now their wattles and combs are bright red!
You opinions are GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks!

Cochin #1

81900_chickens_14_weeks_091.jpg

81900_chickens_14_weeks_092.jpg

Cochin #2

81900_chickens_14_weeks_164.jpg

81900_chickens_14_weeks_170.jpg

At 14 weeks, my Cochin pullets are usually fully, fluffily feathered and have hardly any comb. My cockerels usually take a bit longer to settle into their feathering and have larger red combs. Based on this, I think you have two cockerels.

Quote:
My blue Cochin that I am sure is a pullet is like you describe. she is fully feathered out and has hardly a comb or wattles and they are barely even pink. My blue Cochin cockerel has a huge comb and wattles and has been trying to mount all the girls. These two splash just don't look like/act like either of my other Cochins but they lean more towards my cockerel.
Guess I probably have 2 more roo's!

I'm having a hard time deciding with my 7 wk old Cochins. I hatched out 8 of them and only 1 has the red comb and wattles. But how could I have gotten lucky enough to get 7 hens and one Roo? So I must be wrong about it lol
I just want to tell you I LOVE the stones and grass there in front of your coop! I'm going to go out and fashion mine the same way today.

Back
Top Bottom