Cochins

Auntsally

Chirping
Nov 3, 2020
My 4 new Cochins sleep on the coop floor , not the perch , not had this breed before is this normal ? Only had them a week
they are on there own at the moment, in there own coop it’s got perches in there, but they don’t use them , I’ve put them very low down, just incase , they could not get up on them !
cause ! they are larger birds, I was not sure they could climb up on them , there is just the 4 off them in the coop for quarantine so they are not disturbed by other s
my flock roost on the perches they all gather on one perch and squash together even though there is room to spread on the other perch they squeeze on one , they look very tightly pack on the perch not sure why when they have room to spread , my flock are smaller normal size mixed breed hens , not sure if different breeds have different ways off sleeping thanks

The heavier birds like Cochins and Brahmas often sleep on the floor. It's suggested to give them access to lower perches and nest boxes (~1' off the floor) so that they don't injure themselves. I built my perch like a diagonal ladder, so that the hens can choose how high they want to sleep. I have two Cochins, and one of them almost always sleeps on the floor. My Brahma though don't give af, she sleeps on the highest rung.
Thanks how do they not get pooped on by the others on the perches above or do they sleep in there nest boxes I’ve not put them in my coop yet with my other chickens too find out ho
Perhaps they are still a bit scared. Mine all roost, both standard and bantam. What type of roosts? 2x4 are best, generally the 4 up for bigger breeds is best, but some of mine choose the smaller 2 inches up.
mine is a 4 , yes maybe there still a bit scared they have only been with me over a week thanks

I have had quite a few Cochins, and most perched but some just never did. I made them a little cozy box to sleep in :)

The heavier birds like Cochins and Brahmas often sleep on the floor. It's suggested to give them access to lower perches and nest boxes (~1' off the floor) so that they don't injure themselves. I built my perch like a diagonal ladder, so that the hens can choose how high they want to sleep. I have two Cochins, and one of them almost always sleeps on the floor. My Brahma though don't give af, she sleeps on the highest rung.

6 months one is 12 months
Perhaps they are still a bit scared. Mine all roost, both standard and bantam. What type of roosts? 2x4 are best, generally the 4 up for bigger breeds is best, but some of mine choose the smaller 2 inches up.

Back
Top Bottom