Cockerel can't put weight on leg

I was concerned about the constricting nature of duct tape alone and felt compelled to mention this.:) When I've set a lamb's leg I used the insulating wrap for copper pipes so there was room for give for the leg growth and I cut a hair products bottle to wrap around the insulation for support. I wrapped that with vet wrap. Worked beautifully. Young animals/birds grow so dang fast...lol.

I'd think vet wrap or wrap for humans would be better IF they need to wrap the leg. But is the leg broken? It doesn't sound like the leg is broken.

It doesn't look broken to me. He does not react when I touch it either.

A few weeks ago he broke a feather during a scuffle...it was a blood feather. Cleaned him up and it seemed better. it was on that side. Maybe an infection?

edit: examined him then and found no broken skin...

It could be just a sprain. You could get an xray to rule out a broken leg, if your local vet is agreeable. It might be worth splinting with padding and vet wrap which can be checked and replaced.

Okay, just checked him again. Now I can see that his "elbow joint" (his hock?) is bigger than the other leg...it looks swollen. What would a splint do for this? He's staying off it already, hopping around. He also sits down; I'm afraid that I'll just make him more uncomfortable.

I'm thinking it may be best to have no split...and that it's possibly best to leave it and observe and hopefully it gets better in a few days.

I'd prefer someone else add their thoughts. I'm not as knowledgeable on this. :D

yup... consider it a fracture and then at least if it's not... it won't hurt. i checked out the broken leg of my goose who never squeaked either. Birds are amazing at hiding ailments. it's innate for survival, that's why they are so difficult for us humans to determine when they are sick or hurting. take him into a vet if you care to spend the money... otherwise please do add antibiotic to the leg and splint it in some way... wether you want to duct tape it or go all in with popsicle sticks and padding. but the swelling happens in a few days post fracture. I would try to stabilize it so he can weight bear and heal.

You see... the injury may very well be above the hock or leg joint. you don't know this. swelling will always move down the leg. Don't assume it is the joint. it may be his femur just as well. in fact, if you only noticed the swelling in the joint now... i believe the injury is above the joint. tough to splint...in that case, if I were you I would wait it out as it may heal on it's own. the injury is too high to splint. Best scenario is obviously take him to a vet to get a definitive diagnosis. Chances are... that's the best they would do.

I have no vet that will see chickens to x-ray...and have 4 cockerels with my flock now. They can't all stay. I am thinking of culling this little guy...it's a shame. It doesn't look like he'll get better.

Unless it is broken or dislocated, it will resolve itself. I had a hen catch her leg and we found her caught, and the kids helped her get her leg unstuck. We put her in the quarantine coop so the other birds would cause her damage at their request, I thought she was done for, and I don't like having an innocent animal suffer. She was given a pan of water and feed right beside her. It took her a week or so, but the injury resolved itself. She would hop and favor it for awhile, but after a time the strain healed and she got around eventually as normal.

Unless it is broken or dislocated, it will resolve itself. I had a hen catch her leg and we found her caught, and the kids helped her get her leg unstuck. We put her in the quarantine coop so the other birds would cause her damage at their request, I thought she was done for, and I don't like having an innocent animal suffer. She was given a pan of water and feed right beside her. It took her a week or so, but the injury resolved itself. She would hop and favor it for awhile, but after a time the strain healed and she got around eventually as normal.
If it were my bird...I would do what RoosterCogburn suggested. I've had a few in the predicament as above but not as badly injured. I gave it time. I think he would need at least a week to show any improvement if you're thinking of the cockerel as a choice at all.

Back
Top Bottom