Cockerel crowing after dark?

Did he see any lights? I used to have a rooster who would crow all night long because we had a neighbor who always had their outside light on. Just a light on in a room near their coop could get them crowing. If there is a light in the coop, expect him to be crowing all night.

Tonight, about an hour after it got dark, I heard my cockerel crowing. At first I thought an animal was trying to get into the coop, so I rushed outside, but there was nothing wrong. He was just sitting on the roost, crowing. Is this normal?
Yep! We had a roo who crowed at 4 every morning..he ended up being re-homed

Did he see any lights? I used to have a rooster who would crow all night long because we had a neighbor who always had their outside light on. Just a light on in a room near their coop could get them crowing. If there is a light in the coop, expect him to be crowing all night.

Well, we had the lights in the house on. Besides that, everything was dark.

Perfectly normal!
Roosters crow 24/7/365.
I love that sound, makes me smile every time Colonel crows or I hear a crow from 1/2 mile away.

Okay, that's good to know. He's a little over 5 months old and he's never crowed at night before, so I thought there was something wrong. I'm glad it's normal though.

It was completely dark at 4 when he was doing this... We consider 4 still being night lol😁
I can’t quite remember where i read this, but chickens can see in a wider spectrum of light than we can. So, they can see the sun coming up way before we can because they can see ultraviolet? I’d definitely have to look into this more

Back
Top Bottom