Cockerel is wobbling and unbalanced!!! HELP!!!

AmeraucanaHank

Blessed be the Name of God
Sep 12, 2021
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
I was doing the chores this morning and this bielefelder cockerel was wobbling and unbalanced and flapping his wings to help him move! i first made a BIG mistake and cut one of his toe nails and it started to bleed how can i fix this!?! HELP!!!

Let me understand. Your cockerel was fine and normal until you opened a gusher on his toe? Is the gusher under control or still gushing?

Let me understand. Your cockerel was fine and normal until you opened a gusher on his toe? Is the gusher under control or still gushing?
no, in the morning he was wobbling about and I thought that he had to long toe nails, i had no idea it would bleed i thought that it would be like a human toe nail it gets too long cut,too long cut!

Okay. You thought his wobbly behavior was due to long toenails and you cut one and it bled?

Long toe nails do not cause a chicken to be wobbly unless the nail is curling and preventing normal walking.

Wobbly behavior is usually caused by something inflaming nerves along the spinal cord such as toxic exposure to a poison or from an avian virus. Has there been any applications recently of insecticides? Do you have a compost pile where moldy and rotten food has been tossed?

Okay. You thought his wobbly behavior was due to long toenails and you cut one and it bled?

Long toe nails do not cause a chicken to be wobbly unless the nail is curling and preventing normal walking.

Wobbly behavior is usually caused by something inflaming nerves along the spinal cord such as toxic exposure to a poison or from an avian virus. Has there been any applications recently of insecticides? Do you have a compost pile where moldy and rotten food has been tossed?
i don't what if he other than feed I give him in the morning? could this be contaigious? He's fine until he runs, when he runs he flaps his wings and wobbles & bobbles about

Thanks a bunch!

It's most likely not contagious. There are some temporary issues that can cause wobbly gait. Hypothermia if he's gotten very cold and not eaten enough calories, or shock of any sort or even poor appetite for several days running that may be making him weak. These we can fix.

Give him a cup of water with a teaspoon of sugar mixed in. Let him drink that today and tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom