Cockerel making a gargling sound

Darlingoo

Songster
7 Years
Aug 3, 2016
so as I was locking the coops and checking the birds last night. I noticed a lot of blood round my vorwerk pen and coop. The cockerel had blood all over his face. Anyway brung him in cleaned him up and figured it was frostbite on the tip of his comb that got knocked off and blood just went everywhere. Cleaned and Rubbed sudocrem on it, jobs a gooden.
I kept him in last night to check on him. I noticed he was making a lot of gargling noises when breathing. There's no discharge or puffiness anywhere. Except the gargling sound and some raspy breathing. Could this of been from the amount of blood maybe going into his nostrils? None of the other hens seem to have the same problem.
In all other aspects he seems fine, preening himself and crowing of the arm of my sofa as I type this.

This is all the information I can think off to mention, please say if I've left anything out. Thank you very much for reading.

How old is he? Is he a new addition to the pen? How long have you had him? Have you inspected the other members of the pen for any signs of blood? My feeling would be that he has been scrapping with another rooster or top hen or through the fence with an adjacent bird. Bloody damage to combs is almost always caused by another bird.
The gurgling/raspy breathing is concerning. I would very much doubt he has aspirated some blood. I would not return him to the pen in case it is a respiratory disease. Where in the world are you? Vet Rx might be beneficial if you are in the USA. Here in the UK, I have used Vicks Vapour Rub successfully on birds with breathing difficulties since shipping of Vet Rx from the states is pricey.

Thank you so much for responding.
He's just coming up to a year. I hatched him myself and him and his girls are the first lot of chickens i started with. I checked the other birds he could of scraped with and no sign of damage. Also no sign of blood on the fencing.
I'm in the uk aswell. I'll add the vapour rub to my med-kit. I was toying with the idea of giving him some tylan soluble but since I don't know 100% what I'm dealing with, I'm a bit hesitant. I will ring the vet on Tuesday but I'm just trying to think of what to do in the meantime.
Thank you again for responding.

Just for your information, Vicks Vapour Rub also works well to kill scaly leg mites should you ever need to treat for that too.
I'm not a fan of using antiBs without good cause, but only you know how bad he is and what steps you feel you need to take. Good luck with him. Animals always seem to get sick on a Bank holiday weekend don't they!

tell me about it! Got a goose with a swollen foot, an ex-batt being all hunched and lethargic and this gargling rebel.
Yeah I'm the same that's why I'm hesitant to use it. But the gargling/rasping doesn't seem that bad anymore. see how he is in the morning.
Here's a photo of him this morning
Thanks again for the feedback, really appreciate it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 4
He's a fine looking fellow. Maybe you are right and he did aspirate a little blood. I had a bantam pekin pullet aspirate fluid that refluxed up from her crop during crop surgery and she came right on her own without medication after a few days of wheezing and ruttling. A strong immune system is a wonderful attribute and something I like to support rather than challenge!

Back
Top Bottom