Cockerel or Pullet? SLW

edenrice

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2016
Hi everyone, I'm new to backyard chickens, and thought this would be a great place to ask for helpful information. I was just wondering if my 10 week old SLW pullet is actually a young rooster. I've noticed a redder, droopier waddle, and longer, pointed tail feathers. I bought a few different breeds (all hopeful pullets) from mypetchicken.com understanding that there would be a chance of some roos in the bunch. I just wanted conformation, thank you!

Last edited:
At 10 weeks, I think you are correct that is a developing roo.

SLW pullets will have a nice even pattern, thought it takes a bit for the to develop, but I am seeing solid blocks of white on the wings shaping up...SLW roos will dvelop solid blocks of white on the wings and the saddle.

Also, for 10 weeks, that is pronounced comb and waddle....and yes, I think the start of a saddle point in a feather or two?

Wyandottes can be tricky, so I wouldn't give up all hope quite yet, but it sure looks like a developing roo at this point.

LofMc

and
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you! And I'd be happy with a roo or hen, as I've actually been looking for a nice rooster for a while for my ladies.

Back
Top Bottom