Cockerel or pullet?

Selinanoelle

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2023
Good morning! I have this one chicken (4 weeks) s/he is either a French black maran or an olive egger. It’s presenting red/pink comb and waddles. Can you help me identify if this is a cockerel or a pullet?

Attachments

• IMG_7170.png
    IMG_7170.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7169.png
    IMG_7169.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7168.png
    IMG_7168.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7166.png
    IMG_7166.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7151.png
    IMG_7151.png
  • IMG_7148.png
    IMG_7148.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7150.png
    IMG_7150.png
I am not certain if this is a cockerel or not because my pullet started developing comb and wattles as early as 4 weeks old. Now she is 3 months old and after 12 weeks of believing she was a male, my perception began to shift. Her smaller size, the absence of male saddle feathers, and her behavior made me reconsider. Just two days ago, I discovered that she is, in fact, a pullet. The odds of your chick being a cockerel are higher, as pullets rarely exhibit such early comb and wattle growth; some may not show signs of development until 4-5 months of age.

I am not certain if this is a cockerel or not because my pullet started developing comb and wattles as early as 4 weeks old. Now she is 3 months old and after 12 weeks of believing she was a male, my perception began to shift. Her smaller size, the absence of male saddle feathers, and her behavior made me reconsider. Just two days ago, I discovered that she is, in fact, a pullet. The odds of your chick being a cockerel are higher, as pullets rarely exhibit such early comb and wattle growth; some may not show signs of development until 4-5 months of age.
Thank you! This was very helpful, I will wait to see if a crow happens later on or now too haha

Thank you! This was very helpful, I will wait to see if a crow happens later on or now too haha
I'm fairly confident that you'll be able to determine the gender earlier, typically around 2 months of age. Here are some key indicators to look for:
  1. Size: If it's a cockerel, it will likely be taller than your pullets of the same age.
  2. Behavior: Cockerels tend to be more alert and may maintain prolonged eye contact with you more frequently than pullets.
  3. Legs: They will develop stronger, taller, and thicker legs compared to pullets.
  4. Aggressiveness: Some cockerels may exhibit aggression, either towards you or other chickens, as they establish their dominance.
  5. Pecking Order: They tend to be at the top of the pecking order, assuming there are no other roosters in the group.
  6. Feathers: Keep an eye out for the development of shiny and pointed saddle feathers, which are the feathers near the tail.
Observing these characteristics should provide you with a good indication of your bird's gender well before they reach 3 months of age. Happy poultry-raising!

Back
Top Bottom