Cockerel pullet ratio high from one hen. Don't breed?

Nimueh Alene

Songster
7 Years
Apr 9, 2017
Sebastian county Arkansas
Terrible ratio again.. 1st set 7 eggs =7 cockerels, figured it was an anomaly. 2nd set 8 eggs = 8 cockerels, thinking what the heck! This last set 9 eggs = 6, maybe 7 cockerels not sure about one but I finally have 2 possibly 3 pullets. Will she always have mainly males which I don't need? Just wanting to know if I should replace her eggs when she goes broody. I realize I'll have to rehome cockerels every hatch but 24 eggs =2-3 pullets

Um? You can’t control the number of pullets or cockerels that hatch out of an egg, it’s just bad luck in your case. If you always receive cockerels, stop hatching and buy day old sex-linked chicks and put them under your broody at night.

That's a very interesting question. I just read that sex is determined by the hen, so maybe you're onto something. You may want to consider getting her different eggs, or even let her set on fake eggs for 3 weeks, then buy some day old sexed pullets to slip under her and let her raise them. Pullets are nice, but I also look forward to cockerels - they are freezer fillers here.

That's a very interesting question. I just read that sex is determined by the hen, so maybe you're onto something. You may want to consider getting her different eggs, or even let her set on fake eggs for 3 weeks, then buy some day old sexed pullets to slip under her and let her raise them. Pullets are nice, but I also look forward to cockerels - they are freezer fillers here.
Hens DO NOT control whether if the eggs are cockerels or pullets. It’s just luck.

Taken from this article:
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...etermined-in-chickens-and-what-does-H100.aspx

In birds, the sex of the embryo is determined by the egg, not the sperm (as it is in humans). Avian sex differentiation is not determined by XY chromosomes like it is in humans and most mammals (or even the XO system used by some insects). In those systems the sex is determined by the sperm, by what the male contributes to the offspring. By contrast, birds have a ZW system of sex determination (shared with butterflies, moths, fish and reptiles). In that system, sex is determined by the female within her ova, and the sex of offspring is not affected at all by the sperm which the male contributes.

I read something similar that she could possibly have more eggs with male tendency... Had a barred rock that of the three eggs I hatched from her all were cockerels. I think I'll get her some hatching eggs next time she goes broody... But wow she hatched some beautiful babies.

Culling a hen at the basic level involves NOT BREEDING HER. So by culling or not breeding this hen or hatching her eggs you may inadvertently be letting a large number of pullets be stillborn. Nature has a way of leveling out the high and low spots of sex distribution. I know from breeding gamefowl for most of my life and being disappointed when a favored hen threw too many female chicks. 92% cockerels this year can quickly become 92% pullets the following year.

Culling a hen at the basic level involves NOT BREEDING HER. So by culling or not breeding this hen or hatching her eggs you may inadvertently be letting a large number of pullets be stillborn. Nature has a way of leveling out the high and low spots of sex distribution. I know from breeding gamefowl for most of my life and being disappointed when a favored hen threw too many female chicks. 92% cockerels this year can quickly become 92% pullets the following year.
She's going to be a year old in February... So I will let her do her thing. I have no trouble finding homes for the boys. I love her coloring and wanted a few pullets similar to her.. Which I did get 1 dark version and 1 light version The boys are birchin or light color with lacing.. I would love to keep them all but daddy is OEG bantam and fights the boys. They also inherited his loud non stop crowing..

Taken from this article:
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...etermined-in-chickens-and-what-does-H100.aspx

In birds, the sex of the embryo is determined by the egg, not the sperm (as it is in humans). Avian sex differentiation is not determined by XY chromosomes like it is in humans and most mammals (or even the XO system used by some insects). In those systems the sex is determined by the sperm, by what the male contributes to the offspring. By contrast, birds have a ZW system of sex determination (shared with butterflies, moths, fish and reptiles). In that system, sex is determined by the female within her ova, and the sex of offspring is not affected at all by the sperm which the male contributes.

Yup, I read that too. Lets see what those who breed/hatch say ...
@EggSighted4Life @Lady of McCamley @oldhenlikesdogs @Pyxis
Your opinions & experiences, thank you in advance

Back
Top Bottom