Cockerel

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chittyn, Aug 27, 2011.

1. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    hi,

I went to a show and bought what i thought was 2 pure whit Sussex hens. however one turned out to be a cockerel! we purchased them in april an they were around 14 weeks old then. i was wondering when my cockerel will start to mate and crow

Thanks

2. LunarRayne

LunarRayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    SW Arkansas
    I have several different breeds (but not the Sussex) that all started to crow around 3 months. The mating attempts started around then as well. So if yours are 14 weeks, I would guess soon.

Wait, it was 14 weeks in April? Do you have any pictures?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  3. chittyn

Aug 27, 2011
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The Sussex I have had were the Spotted variety. They were somewhat slower maturing, 20-24 weeks. The rooster got huge and was extremely loud. A young rooster will ride a handful of hens to a featherless state. Typically, a rooster needs a dozen hens to keep himself occupied.

5. chittyn

Aug 27, 2011
    he is probably 6 months old he doesnt crow but the eggs i have been getting lately have a blood-spots in them. I only have 2 hens and a rooster now . What is your opinion ?/

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Bloodspots don't mean the eggs are fertile.

7. chittyn

Aug 27, 2011
    but wt do u think about my cockerel

8. chittyn

Aug 27, 2011
    any help why isnt my cockerel crowing or mating he is over 6 months old ! and also my hen is not laying yet either

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by