Cockerell not well

Thank you for the replies, I will relay this back to my sister. She has also just messaged reagrding some of the questions from yesterday.

He has chalky dry skin, not usually nearly this pale. He had lost some of the longer feather from his rump, but nothing more material than that. Seen no bubbles/foam/pus in his eyes, but then also he's a bit grumpy and doesn't let us get too close to us unless we force it and as he hasn't been well we don't handle him too much other than to check how he's doing. Haven't seen any sneezing, cockerel has been gasping a bit lately, opens his beak looks up like he's going to crow but doesn't. Don't see any mites (we had some a few months ago so are still very vigilant about them) we are in peterborough. We got some daktarin as we were recommended this to help incase it was fungal. But nothing else, will buy whatever is needed once we know. Seems to have an ear infection/Canker aswell.

Attachments

• IMG-20210926-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210926-WA0002.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20210926-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210926-WA0001.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 1
So sorry about your roo. He looks dehydrated and depending on what type of mites you have, he may be anemic.

DE will not kill a bad infestation immediately, and you need a ton of it blocking every crack and crevice to work properly. It does work, but not fast enough when there is a major infestation. I've had good luck with Pyganic specialty, which is a knock down treatment approved for organic use. You can spray it on the coop and the birds. It is expensive if you go that route.

Try to determine if they are red mites, and if they are, they may become your worse nightmare and can kill birds with little warning. Go out late at night around midnight and look under your roost poles. If you see tons of tiny red moving dots, they are red mites and they are sucking the life out of the birds. Anemia is one issue, but blood volume can be another if the infestation is bad.

Looking at the eye issues, I am not sure what to make of it yet.
When did the mites happen, when were they treated, and did the eye issue happen around the same time as treatment, before, or after?

For the time being, if you can take him out of the coop and keep him in a safe clean place, it might help in order to focus on giving him special treatment. Keep him hydrated and offer regular as well as vitamin/electrolyte water, applesauce and yogurt. If you can have your vet order some Emeraid Omnivore IC, it works very well, and is good to have on hand for times like this. I hope he recovers for you!
Thank you for the replies, I will relay this back to my sister. She has also just messaged reagrding some of the questions from yesterday.

He has chalky dry skin, not usually nearly this pale. He had lost some of the longer feather from his rump, but nothing more material than that. Seen no bubbles/foam/pus in his eyes, but then also he's a bit grumpy and doesn't let us get too close to us unless we force it and as he hasn't been well we don't handle him too much other than to check how he's doing. Haven't seen any sneezing, cockerel has been gasping a bit lately, opens his beak looks up like he's going to crow but doesn't. Don't see any mites (we had some a few months ago so are still very vigilant about them) we are in peterborough. We got some daktarin as we were recommended this to help incase it was fungal. But nothing else, will buy whatever is needed once we know. Seems to have an ear infection/Canker aswell.

Attachments

IMG-20210926-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210926-WA0002.jpg
Good advice from Aygous on DE, mites, and the possibility of face mites. Permethrin is very good for body mites and treating the coop, roosts, and nest boxes.

Attachments

IMG-20210926-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210926-WA0002.jpg
DE does not treat mite infestations. It may help prevent it, but once mites are established, you need to treat with an insecticide that is safe to use around poultry such as spinosad or permethrin.

Vaseline will smother face and leg mites. It's especially convenient to use on the face since trying to dust a chicken's face will risk respiratory irritation, and sprays wouldn't be any better.

Have your friend grease him up for three days in a row and see what happens. It can't hurt him. It might just solve the issue.

Treating a coop infested with mites is laborious and every crack and crevice where mites hide and breed needs to be targeted. Anything less will result in the mites continuing to be a problem. And they are a problem because they suck the blood of chickens and make them anemic and sick.

Attachments

IMG-20210926-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210926-WA0002.jpg
That's a superb photo of the head and comb and also of the ear opening. It may very well be fungal. (Favus) The ear opening should be cleaned out using hydrogen peroxide and a Q-tip with most of the cotton removed. Then use an antifungal cream on all of the affected tissue twice a day for seven days.

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/favus

Yes, I agree that the flaky skin could well be favus, a fungal infection. Miconazole and clotrimazole are 2 common creams that are used. Daktarin looks to be a brand of miconazole. The ear treatment of using hydrogen peroxide and QTips, and applying cream/ointment would be good.

Back
Top Bottom