Cockerl or Pullet???

If you are able to, I would wait until they get a little older so you can watch their temperament and how they interact with the other chickens and your family. Some roosters are nice. Some roosters are mean. Some roosters are good protectors of their hens. Some are all around great roosters. Some are not worth more than a fried chicken dinner. Most will be good roosters. There is a funny ad on my local craigslist right now for a free rooster.

Here is what it says:
free one mean *** rooster (crestview)

super mean , free , will attack , cant even go in to pen to feed without attacking

Yep. There are always people trying to give away roosters because they only want hens and don't want to kill the roosters. In theory you could probably get a free chicken dinner once a week for a year. Lol

Ooooor get more hens. :D

You could do that too. :) With them being introduced to your flock young they should be fine if you did choose to keep them both and get more hens. Of course if you do get more chicks and some turn out to be cockerels... that may be a different story. You'd probably have to cull some. Lol

Last edited:
You could do that too. :) With them being introduced to your flock young they should be fine if you did choose to keep them both and get more hens. Of course if you do get more chicks and some turn out to be cockerels... that may be a different story. You'd probably have to cull some. Lol

Or make a stag pen, if it's worth it to you! :D

But honestly, trading for hens, selling or butchering are the three most profitable options. Giving away is fine too, but you don't get anything from it. :/

My best friend growing up had "tree roosters" that roosted in the trees and never really bothered anything or anyone. They were just extra roosters that free ranged and did whatever they wanted. Sometimes they would go into the little fenced in area with the ducks, but for the most part they just did their own thing. The other chickens and roosters all had designated pens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom