cockrel or pullet ?

The rooster is always everyone's favorite chick.
He also has a single comb instead of a rose comb. He may test you when he older, usually a puffed chest and a little stomp, best to give him a swat, dont run away, he needs to learn that you are in charge. I would keep an eye on him, esp if you have small children around, there's always one that just plain mean. I have probly around 15 roosters
wink.png
, none are aggressive, they arent allowed to be.
Thanks for the advice farmerChef. This is my first little flock, but I remember my mom sending an aggressive rooster to the stew pot after he spurred my little brother, so I will make sure he knows the boundaries. You mentioned him having a single comb instead of a rose comb. Is that a way of determining the gender? I am pretty new to this.

Nothing to do with sex, hatchery birds sometimes have a wrong comb, their feather pattern/color are a little off, or earlobes and/or legs are the wrong color. They "mass produce" chicks, in a sence, so they sometimes focus more on quantity, not quality.

Nothing to do with sex, hatchery birds sometimes have a wrong comb, their feather pattern/color are a little off, or earlobes and/or legs are the wrong color. They "mass produce" chicks, in a sence, so they sometimes focus more on quantity, not quality.

I have a hatchery Buff Orpington pullet that is 20 weeks old. She has some leghorn in her because she has the tell-tale leghorn large floppy comb. Her "sister" has the standard Orpington comb. Gotta love them hatchery breeding programs.
wink.png

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I guess Jasmine Black will need a new name. Even though I wanted only pullets, I am kind of excited to see what my little cockrel will grow up to look like. Does anyone know if Wayndottes have good dispositions? He has always been my friendliest and most curious of the group..
jumpy.gif
I have had Wyandottes in SL, GL and BLR and have never had a nasty rooster in the bunch, maybe I have just been lucky
idunno.gif
. They are usually quite a docile breed, from my experience with them.

I have had Wyandottes in SL, GL and BLR and have never had a nasty rooster in the bunch, maybe I have just been lucky
idunno.gif
. They are usually quite a docile breed, from my experience with them.
I am happy to hear that. I definetly want to keep him. I love his personality so far. He is full of curiousity and very friendly to us and the other chicks.,

Back
Top Bottom