Cockrels or Pullets - Ameraucana, Araucana, Copper Marans, and Light Sussex

taz982

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 3, 2012
Hey all! Its been a long 10 weeks, but finally my chickens are now about 12 weeks old. People here suggested that you all might be able to help me sex them. I think I know the gender of some of them simply based on their behaviors but I wouldn't want to sell a pullet on accident! Unfortunately I think both of one particular breed are males, and that will be disappointing if my suspicions are confirmed :(.

The pictures of my 9 chickens are here: http://imgur.com/a/w3rVo

I know the chickens comprise the breeds in my title, but i'm not 100% sure I labeled them all perfectly, so if you think I have mislabeled one please let me know.

Thank you so much for your help!

taz

What on them, particularly #3 makes you think cockerel?

Also, how sure are you? Just trying to gauge how sad I should be right now lol >.<

Last edited:
Oops edited the last question on you lol.

Trying to learn how to distinguish isn't easy lol. >.<

Looking at #1 again, hard to tell, need better shot of saddle feathers. For future help, get pics of comb/wattles, hackle feathers, saddle feathers and a close up full body side profile shot.

What is a "Splash" bird?

Also if additional pictures are necessary I have some on hand or could easily take more pictures. They are just 20 feet infront of my front doorstep at the moment :).

Yessm! 1 and 2 always fly at each other back and forth and boss around the others, so i figured they were males. I will definitely get better side shots though for you all. :)

Splash is a color, usually a white/lavender base with black dispersed on the feathers. My cockerel in my profile pic and his better pics are on my profile page. His dad is a Pure Lav Orp and mom was a Pure Black Orp.

Back
Top Bottom